We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

Hi all,

We are at GBP Jan 12-19th, we'll be there for my wife's birthday on the 15th and I was debating sneaking away to try and find a nice watch for her as a gift. I sthere good jewellery available in Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios?

Thanks in advance!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

Yes you can buy nice jewelery in Jamaica.

A couple of words of advice though: watch anything strung. Any coral etc necklaces or bracelets...it's been my experiences that whatever they use to sting with disinegrates when I return here.

Also I friend on mine in Nov bought a lovely ring in Negril. She doesn't know alot about jewelery and they told her it was a caribbean topaz. Umm no there is no such stone. There is a caribbean quartz but not a topaz. I looked at it and it was a mystic topaz. It was nice. And I'm not saying she got ripped off. But it wasn't what they told her it was.

Someone at work bought their engagement ring in Ochi. It's very nice and she got a good deal.

Nice guy you are !!! Enjoy

Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

We've bought a couple of really nice pieces of jewelry in Jamaica. About 6 years ago I bought a watch there and got a really good deal on it. I've had it cleaned here at a local jewelers and he said what I paid was a great price for the piece. My wife got a gold chain there too and it also was a pretty good deal. Both were purchased at duty free stores.

IA
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

Make sure to really work the price. We found most all popular watch brands and styles available in Ocho. Do a little price shopping before you go so you know what to expect price wise on a certain piece. I was looking at a Movado Kara for my wife and they were $100US high and not moving.

matt

nj
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

Know what the cost is in a big city in the states. Prices are negotiable in an owner operated store. A store in Jamaica might be able to beat the price, but I doubt it. The only place I think yu might get a deal is at a real duty free store in the airport. Jamaica has a pretty stiff import tax on luxury goods. Good luck.

5. Re: Buying jewellery in Jamaica??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay
Recent Conversations