We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess baggage

England
10 posts
Save Topic
Excess baggage

me and gf are 1kg over each on cases, will we have to pay much?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excess baggage

The website for your airline should provide this information. Each airline is a little different.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excess baggage

Leave some stuff home. I only used about 1/3 of what I took. You will even be heavier coming home so pack a carry on.

Matt

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excess baggage

if flying tomson its £9 per kilo.... most of my family work in various airports and all say the same thing check in early and its usually ok, its just as more eople check in the stricter it gets - i few Thomson from Manchester 28th Dec and both me and my is were 4kg over - but we was at check in bright and early! Not saying it always works but it always has for us.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excess baggage

i'd like to say at 1kg, they will let you go... but that doesn't leave you much room for bringing anything back unless you are taking stuff down... it does depend on the airline and the specific agent you get (and if they're having a good day or a bad day)...

i'm always over when i travel (save business trips when I aim for carryons) and have only had to pay once

good luck

Chelle

Independence...
Level Contributor
485 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excess baggage

We were over on our return trip and had to pay $25 UDS at the counter. We were 3 pounds over in one bag. The other bag was under, but they would not let us move things unless we went to the back of the line and waited AGAIN!

Other posters are correct, you most like will only need about 1/2 of what you take. We live in swimwear, t-s and shorts.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excess baggage

lol....I swear the airlines love me!

for Canada it is $10 per kilo over. Yup $200 every trip I pay. LOL.

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
463 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excess baggage

We were over the limit on the way home and had to pay over £200.

As others have said pack less, I didn't wear half of what I actually bought.

bb

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,998 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excess baggage

Wow C I always knew you were generous but even to share your $$$ with the airline is really something. They probably have you red flagged and are just waiting for you to set the luggage on the scales. Is there not anyway to put some of the weight in your carryon? Here they don't weigh our carryons so that's where the heavy stuff goes when I'm already weighed down, which is every time I go to JA.

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excess baggage

Krim, I usually take school supplies and it comes so close to the max weight. Never thought of putting them in my carry on, expecially since I have one that rolls. DUH! I will be doing that this trip.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,998 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excess baggage

Hi JouJou,

That's why my luggage is always so heavy, the school supplies, then it dawned on me that they don't weigh the carryons. Something else I found is they (most airlines anyway) allow two bags. One can be 62" and the other 55". I always seem to be overweight when filling the 62" because of the extra room. If I start taking stuff out of that bag then it's not full and everything ends up in a heap. I've started putting the bigger, lighter weight stuff in there to compensate. When I'm packing I keep a set of bath scales close by to weigh as I go along. Almos have it down to a science now. Have thought about using hubbies fishing scales but doubt they'd handle that much weight. Are you going to Tobolski or giving your supplies elsewhere?