We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick question before the trip.......

Oconomowoc...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Quick question before the trip.......

OK so we are leaving on Thursday (CANNOT WAIT!!) and my wife and I are wondering how safe it is to walk on the beach in Runaway Bay. We are staying at BRB. Can you just walk freely on the beach like you can in Mexico or Punta Cana?? Also, I think we are giving up on the hopes of going to Negril because of the time it takes to get there and the cost that it will be to get there, so we have decided to go to Ocho. Where are the good shopping places where we will not get haggled to death?? We had a very bad experience in going to the wrong shopping section when in Punta Cana and do not want to make that mistake again. We like going shopping, stopping for drinks, doing a little more shopping, and then stopping for a lot more drinks! Looking for a reputable jewelry store as well. Have read that Evita's is great for eating but I think I read once upon a time that there was a seafood place in Ocho with a jazz bar on one level and a martini bar on another? I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called - maybe it's not even in Ocho. Also is it best to just hire a driver to go to Ocho?? Thanks in advance for the help!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

It's perfectly safe to walk both on the beach and on the streets. The locals here are all very friendly, I've been 10 times now to Runaway and have never had any problems. You could just get a taxi to Ocho and arrange for him to pick you back up at a certain time. He should be able to tell you the best places to go and eat, they do tend to change regularly! There are lots of duty free jewellers in Ocho and you can always haggle with them on a 'friendly' basis. You will get street hagglers, hair braiders etc. but just politely say no. The market traders can be a bit overpowering so don't enter it if you don't want to get pestered. Have fun.

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

No problem walking the beach in Jamaica. The beach in front of BRB is about a 1/2 mile long and is a private beach. You will see Smokin Joe in the water all day trying to sell his conk shells and anything else that you might be interested in. I also would recommend heading off the property toward the east and you have an additional mile or more of public beach. There are a number of vendors on the beach selling their wears and if you are not interested it only takes a smile and a "no thank you". Stop at flavours for lunch or a cocktail. The old GM from BRB, Chetty Parchment is the owner. Not a fan of shopping so my opinion on going to Ocho Rios to shop will probably not help you. They have an excursion every day into Ocho for shopping. I would recommend hiring a driver and go at your own pace and choose exactly wear you want to go. My wife and I arrive on Saturday. See you then.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

Hi Mayvillite...can't understand why you'd want to leave this beautiful weather & go to Jamaica??

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

From one Wi-ite to the other, first of all have a reeeeallly good time. We were there from 1/21-1/28. Wish we were there now. Once you leave the BRB property, walking along the beach, there are security guards posted on each end of the property line. They will take your room number so that when you come back, they check your number off. Just to be sure you're back. If you go toward the right (looking at the water) that is where all the little shacks are with the people selling their wares and whatnot. My husband and I did go down there, we knew we'd be haggled and offered their other illegal substances, so we were prepared. We just said no to some and bought from others what we wanted and went back to the BRB property. That was really the only time we walked along the beach. You can go further of course. We took the shopping tour into Ocho that the hotel offers. It's only 4 hours which isn't all the long when you factor in travel time and dropping you off in different areas. Find a personal driver, not the hotels. Lots of info on that in this forum. As for jewelry, Gem Palace is right on-site and the week we were there, there was a gal walking around handing our 60% off coupons. I'm sure she does it quite often. But between the coupon and the guy in the jewelry store giving us a deal, we walked away with two beautiful rings. A blue and white diamond ring for me and a black onyx and diamond ring for my husband, along with a gold necklace and pendant for our daughter. The price was too good to pass up. Like I said, have a wonderful time away from all this pathetic cold and snow!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

It will be safe to walk the beach.

We went to negril for the day and it was great. It was about a 2 and half hour drive but well worth going. 7 mile beach is beautiful and then to see the cliff divers is an exprerience. Watching the sunset romantic.

There is a shopping village in ocho rios. There is a good jewellery shop here, one is expensive.If people ask you to buy things just say no thanks and they will leave you alone. They are more pushy in the market, but it is worth having a look there.

There is a good food palce in ocho rios if you like jerk food. The jerk center. It was so good.

We always use moodie who is a good driver/guide would not use anyone else now. His no is 876 404 6396 if you want to contact him. If you text or call he will give you a price of how much it is if you know what you want to do. He is a great guy.

Oconomowoc...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

THank you all for your responses!! Very helpful. Taz1England - how much did you pay for your trip to Negril per person?? Just curious and if you don't want to say I understand.

LOTL1 - yes I am already running away from all the snow/ice/cold of Mayville/WI. I cannot get out of here fast enough!!!!!!!!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

jstKoli,

Best to text or call moodie for a quote. Cannot quite remember and i dont want to guess.I do know it was cheaper than if we booked with the rep or at the hotel.

8. Re: Quick question before the trip.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 00:18