We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless in Jamaica

MD USA
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Topless in Jamaica

Do they allow topless sunbathing in Jamaica.If so.What % do

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topless in Jamaica

it's not by any means prevalent, but it does happen... i'd say less than 5% maybe a smigeon more, especially if you are at/around a hotel frequented by europeans (the Merrils chain in Negril comes to mind) ....

if you're asking about runaway bay specifically, some hotels have c/o or au natural beaches (Hedo, Club Ambiance are two i can think of off the top of my head)...

Chelle

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topless in Jamaica

Yes snow there are quite a few. All the SuperClubs and Couples for example.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
55 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topless in Jamaica

Allowed at Iberostar Rose Hall as well.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topless in Jamaica

Most hotels will "allow" topless sunbathing (on the beach anyways). I have never heard of one that does not. Pool-side topless sunbathing at a family resort would probably be frowned upon.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topless in Jamaica

It is allowed most places. I've only seen tourists do so. Since the majority of visitors are from the US or Canada it is not all that common but you'll see a few here and there. I would say between 1-5% of people on the beach do so. There are some resorts and beaches that have clothing optional and nude beaches.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topless in Jamaica

"Do they allow topless sunbathing in Jamaica?"

Yes, but less than in Mexico. Sunset Beach and Spa, a very affordable family resort, has a topless beach.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topless in Jamaica

Sandals Grande in Ochi allowed topless. I only saw 1 lady lay out though. I have never seen it at public beaches.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Topless in Jamaica

sigh...funny how a thread with the word topless in the title draws a crowd.

Re: percentage I would guess 5% is correct as an overall average in Jamaica. Perhaps slightly higher in Negril. Times have really changed though from when the percentage was more than double that back in the 1980's.

People seem to be more uptight about it now for whatever reason. Maybe more image conscious or insecure about what others may think. Who knows. But it has changed.

Calgary
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Topless in Jamaica

Blues Pirate

I think it's because we all looked better in the 80's. A quarter of a century takes a toll...lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Topless in Jamaica

hey:

The above poster was correct--about 5% sunbathe topless.

Usually it is only allowed on the beach, not around the pool areas.

We were at RDCC and there was a woman from Europe who received around 3 letters from the manager telling her she could only sunbathe topless on the beach!! By the 3rd letter they were politely hinting she would be removed from the premises if she got caught again and did not adhere to the rules.

3rd letter?? whats up with that??

1 staff member telling me to move to the beach area would have been enough---LOL.

Taly