We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

SC
1 post
Save Topic
Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

Just a thought...does any one know if you get cell service around Breezes Runaway Bay?

I was able to call the US with my tracphone from Negril in 2007. Hoping I can get the same results with Alltel.

Strathmore, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

Good question...I would like to know as well...I have a Blackberry World and would love to bring it with us to call home. I would probably have to let my carrier know as well...eh?

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

I have Alltel and was able to use my phone last year when in Runaway Bay. Not sure what the charges were as the phone is a company phone.

isucy90
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

What a coincidence. We were in Jamaica in 2007 and some friends of ours had a tracphone which worked great also. Our US Cellular phone didn't. I hope your Alltel has better luck than ours (so I can use it when were there!) See you in a couple weeks!

Greenfield...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

I have Verizon and had unexpected access @ Breezes roughly 3 years ago. Who knew?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

I have alltel and have had service most everywhere across JA over the course of the last few years. I've had "bars" anyway, I've not actually placed any calls as alltel's been unable to give me any sort of idea what the rates are. Alltel literally told me it could be anywhere between $3-13/minute. One of our friends last year had verizion and had great service. She added an international plan for a month and the calling was quite cheap. Now that alltel's been bought out by verizion, they might have a little better offering. I'll be calling alltel in the next day or two to try and line something up for upcoming trip.

For the blackberry user, I think you can buy a new sim card in JA and use that in your bberry. I have a curve, so if alltel dosen't have a reasonable plan I'm going to see if I can work the sim card angle too.

Good luck, if nothing else, you can buy a prepaid phone in JA for $30 or so.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

hey hazeleyes...can you tell me if you're with rogers or bell? i'm curious if it's bell to see if it works in jamaica. i need a new phone and basing it on if it works in the caribbean. I'm with bell and my phone (not a blackberry) didn't work while i was at runaway bay.

please let me know if yours works.

Thanks!

Windsor, WI
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

You may want to check with your cellular company. I have AT&T and I will be able to get service in JA, however, they had to do something to allow my phone to access the international roaming...otherwise it would be useless there.

8. Re: Breezes Runaway Bay - Cell Phone Service with Alltel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay