We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now I'm scared!!

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Now I'm scared!!

OMG, after reading the last few trip reports, I am scared of what I am going to find at the RDCC in April. Please, someone have something good to report. Money will be lost if we cancel.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now I'm scared!!

scared of what?

RDCC is a great little 3 star type resort.

As long as you've booked a cottage you should be fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now I'm scared!!

It's not bad enough to cancel. We got back last week and I'll be posting a review shortly. A lot of the problems were caused because of the Christmas period and the torrential rain, but there were definite noise issues when we were there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now I'm scared!!

Withrespect, when were you last there? It is not fair to keep telling people that 'As long as you've booked a cottage you should be fine', 'should' being the operative word. Not all cottages are in prime positions and some are in much quieter areas than others.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now I'm scared!!

yes I realize this. All the units are not the same. Some are privately owned. I was last there....2006.

The Decamerons are famous for bumping and not giving you the room you've booked. I've stayed at both RDCC and RDMB twice each.

I have read the two latest reviews and clearly there are issues there with noise now and the construction of the beach. However, I also feel it's your expectations and the price you have paid for your vaca. If you didn't pay a ton and realize it's a 3 star in a developing country...perspective! then you should still be able to enjoy your vaca imo. If you were not able too....I'm sorry.

Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now I'm scared!!

I just read that review and honestly feel like they didn't go to the same place we stayed at just one year ago. I feel they lied...... especially about the buffet and breakfast. There's an egg station where you get you eggs prepared to order. Bread looked/smelled fresh daily. Tons of veg for salads... If it was barely eatable, than what do they eat on a daily basis?

There are people in this world who go on vacation and survive off cabbage for a week and have the times of their lives, and then there's people in this world who take pictures of mold and live to complain hoping to get free upgrades.

Make up your own mind about it.

Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now I'm scared!!

Also, keep in mind that low season (Mid April to mid December) means construction. You're paying a lower price, but you've got to deal with the noise... (at all resorts).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now I'm scared!!

We have only just back after a 2 week stay at the RDCC and had an excellent time, we found the food to be good quality and there was always plenty of choice even for fussy eaters. We paid for a cottage and that is what we received, had no problems at all with the cottage. The only problem that we had was the LOUD music that came from a bar/disco just outside the resort and I must admit that on 2 nights the music went onto 6.30am in the morning which kept me awake even though I wore earplugs. As far as I understand it that the bar/disco had had its licence revoked because of the continuing noise but have now got a licence that enable limited nights of music.. The music was heard on the first Friday night that we were there and also Christmas Eve, no other nights though.

Dispite the loud music it didn't stop us throughly enjoying our time at the RDCC and we hope to return there next Christmas

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Now I'm scared!!

Withrespect, why do you assume that we did not enjoy our stay at the RDCC? I have never said that and I am posting an honest review later today that will confirm that we had a good time despite the problems. My problem is not with the RDCC, but with the forum writers who continue to portray the image that this hotel is idyllic if you are staying in a cottage. It's not - look at it's position on an aerial view map and I must say the gardens where the cottages are situated are lovely.

To be fair to the RDCC, it is trying it's best to improve the resort, but has no control over bad weather and external noise.

The last reviewer, Scsi said he has travelled all over the world, well so have I and no way would I recommend that anyone cancels a holiday here. It's a good value for money 3* hotel with problems that were exacerbated by Christmas and the bad weather. It was unfortunate that the huge waves washed away part of the sea walls. It is understandable that management needed to repair it as soon as possible. As for the sea, well, huge waves stirred up the water, but it was fun to jump the waves.

And the noise - we took earplugs and slept soundly every night, but it is a sign of the times that we now take earplugs everywhere we go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Now I'm scared!!

Kingarella - 'There are people in this world who go on vacation and survive off cabbage for a week and have the times of their lives, and then there's people in this world who take pictures of mold and live to complain hoping to get free upgrades'.

Can you explain to me what upgrade at this hotel you think this reviewer expected. It appears to me that all he wanted was the garden cottage room that he paid for. Is that unreasonable?

As for the mould, we had torrential rain for 2 days non stop that fell just before we left the RDCC. When we were there, some of the cottages were leaking badly. After all, the roofs are only made of tiny wooden slats.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Now I'm scared!!

"Withrespect, why do you assume that we did not enjoy our stay at the RDCC?"

If you read what I typed and don't extrapolate....I didn't assume anything. My exact words were . If you were not able too....I'm sorry. The word there is IF. Peace.

"My problem is not with the RDCC, but with the forum writers who continue to portray the image that this hotel is idyllic if you are staying in a cottage."

that was YOUR experience. Others have not had the same experience and I'm sorry that what others write is a problem for you. People post conflicting things here all the time. Why because each poster has their own paradigm and lots of other things come into play like...time of year, how much you paid, weather etc.

As far as I am concerned with over 30 years of travelling to Jamaica with close to 40 trips.....no place I've found is IDYLLIC. It's Jamaica right?