We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

It's been a while since we bought in a duty free shop--any suggestions if we want to buy some rum to bring back? Is there a limit as to how many bottles can be brought back on the plane? Five more sleeps 'til we takeoff! -Kathi

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
527 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

Hi Kathi,

There's been some recent activity around what you can bring back with you - definitely an interesting read if you can find the forum! - You can bring back 2 bottles a person, but customs does not really check for anything more than that, assuming you don't go crazy.

If you are carrying the alcohol with you on the plane and have a layover in the states, you go from international to national, so will have to go through baggage check. My wife and I oops'ed on this one year and will never forget again!

Enjoy!

Bill

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

Buy all your coffee and rum at the airport it is alot cheaper and you don't need to pack it in your bags.

Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

Thanks for the responses...Travelbunny--where abouts in the terminal is the duty free shop? I see on their map duty free electronics, but not a "duty-free" liquor. Is it by the checkin?

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

There are fifty odd shops in the airport, you can not miss them after you have gone through security. The rum which will cost you anywhere from $18.00 to $35.00 in Ocho Rios will cost you $14.00 that is for the appleton reserve. Hope that helps Dave

Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

If it's after security, can you just buy it and carry it on the plane? I didn't think you could take liquids on the plane. kathi

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

You can carry on out of JA, BUT when and if you have to switch plans in US, you will have to pack it in your checked luggage. If I remember right you can bring back 2 bottles of liquor per person with the exception of Rum. I think since it is a Jamaican product you can bring back more.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 18:29
Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

Thanks!

8. Re: Duty Free Shopping--Ochos Rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay