We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Service in Runaway Bay

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
exmouth
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Service in Runaway Bay

Hi

anyone had experience of using the normal bus service from runaway bay to browns town, ocho rios or the dunns river falls. Its dirt cheap I would guess.

thx

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Service in Runaway Bay

There is no bus service as such. What there is, is route cab’s.

You catch these outside your hotel or anywhere as your walking along. They will stop and in you jump. The have I think (cant remember) a red number plate – and say route cab on the side and it usually tells you where its going. They each travel a certain route, so you may have to catch one or maybe two to get where your going. The prices change obviously with petrol costs I think (don’t quote me on it though) its about $100 JA each.

Please be aware though they pick up many people along the route so you maybe in a car with another 5/6 or even 7 people.

When going to Brownstown you do sometimes get a minibus but this again will squash in as many people as possible – not the most comfortable of journey’s when you have someone else’s child sitting on your lap, and people leaning all over you.

Although I have caught them in the past, I tend not as to be honest they overpack the cars and drive like nutters!

I would recommend a private driver – which yes costs more, but you don’t have to share with people you don’t know, the driver waits for you and the driver obviously has time to dedicate to you, pointing things out on the way etc.

If you really want to try a Route Cab my suggestion is try it for a short journey and see how you get on!

exmouth
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Service in Runaway Bay

Hi

Thanks for tips....I did go to JA years ago in 1987 so wondered if its changed at all. I did take a bus from Mo Bay once....real experience as fuse board was hanging out and my pal whos an optician ended up fixing an old ladies glasses on board and a bloke who had a long beard started playing his guitar....totally irie experience.....did use a mini bus thing back then and its not changed it seems, crammed in a mazda people carrier and the driver goes like the clappers...actually had a blow out but we stopped ok.....yes I guess 10 miles to Ochio Rios is tolerable like that....its just that $40 US to ochio rios is £30 sterling and thats dearer than the UK for a 10 mile ride...here about £22 where I live, really wanted to see some night-life in Ochi and get back to RDCC safely...I guess cab sharing is best with another couple.......is there a taxi rank in Ochi?

thanks for your help

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Service in Runaway Bay

As kall said no bus service although you may se 'bus stops' so to speak..where people wait for route taxis

route taxis will pick up many people and cram you in the car..not always a good thing.

best way is with a private driver.many are recomended on here and we all have our favourites. mine been moodie..private drivers will wait for you and bring you back..sometimes they will hang with you if thats what you want or stay in their car. up to you

iRDCC on a monday night used to take guests to margartaville on a monday night. thats a night club.usually get there around 11pm and leave about 2am..gives you a taster of it..

at margaritaville on other nights wed is pool party, wear your bikini and you get in cheaper and get free drinks before midnight. sat night is ladies night and ladies get in free.

if your into night life they have things going on in runaway bay also. last sat in the month is party at the ultermate jerk centre. opposite green grotto caves. sometimes flavours do live music on a sat night. look for posters or ask the staff..

not far from RDCC there is priory beach party on a sunday night

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Service in Runaway Bay

'Is there a Taxi Rank in Ochi?'

Yes. Route Taxis are just south of the Clock Tower, charter to the north at the corner of Main Street / James Street. That's to say, as you come up main St to the clock, charter on left, route taxi on right, near a gas station.

Route taxi and bus fares are fixed by government and are charged per mile. Sorry I can't remember the rate; they were increased last year.

exmouth
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Service in Runaway Bay

Great thanks...we want to make the most of our stay and we are big "live" music fans.....couldnt find free time for sumfest in july sadly. But I hear theres a good resident band at club ambience,,,,can we walk safety from RDCC to there at night? would we have to pay a fortune to go in?

Any other good "live" venues around? Amensia is a club I heard of...is that any good? Do the route taxis run at night?? If so approx how late? Really a big thanks for your info - it really helps

6. Re: Bus Service in Runaway Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 05:19