We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diarrhea in Jamica

PA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Diarrhea in Jamica

Anyone suffer from diarrhea in Jamica? Any idea what the culprit was? What is the best fix for the problem? Thanks! JC

Chukka Caribbean Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Pablo Tours Jamaica
Eco Tours, City Tours
Julious Tours Jamaica
River Rafting & Tubing, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Diarrhea in Jamica

The lack of this problem is the number one reason for us choosing Jamaica over Mexico and Dominican for our yearly May tryst, our first trip to Jamaica. Twice in Dominican Rep. I got it bad. Will never go back. We've been to Puerto Aventuras, Playa del Carmen and Nuevo Vallarta all several times in Mexico. Each time someone has gotten the Revenge, but not near as bad as Dominican Rep.

We are not overindulgers of alchohol, we live in the hot, humid south, so the problems for us have been mystery bugs.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Diarrhea in Jamica

The only time I got diarrhea in Jamaica in approx 26 trips was the 1st time we went. I bought a can of Mango Nectar to mix with my rum. At that time I was mixing rum with Grace fruit punch (delish) and thought I'd try some rum and mango nectar. The can of nectar was expensive (about 1.75US at the time) and probably sat on the supermarket shelf for years as it would be a luxury for a Jamaican to purchase it.

I mixed up a drink and thought it tasted pretty good. My husband tried some of the nectar plain on the rocks and said it didn't taste right and dumped it down the drain.

I on the other hand was half in the bag and said, hmmmm it tastes OK to me. Well I got so sick on the way home on the plane I was in that tiny potty the whole trip, seatbelt light on or no.

But I survived and learned to drink rum with soda water.....much, much safer :o)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Oak Ridge, NC
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Diarrhea in Jamica

My husband, son and myself went to Mexico 2 years ago, and had no problems. Last summer we went to the Dominican Republic and one of us was sick on and off the whole time. Me and my son were actually sick for 2 weeks after we returned. They place we stayed at was beautiful, but the side effects we received were not worth it. If someone gave me a free trip to the DR I would not return. From what I have been reading there are few issues with illness in Jamaica, so we have decided to give the Starfish a try in July. I will go prepaired with meds, just in case.

All the Best, Gollyga

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay