We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Suffolk
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

After reading many worrying reviews of the Gran Bahia, I wondered if my husband and myself should consider an upgrade to the Golden Club. Thomas Cook told me they could not arrange this as they had no contract for these rooms with the hotel. I then emailed the hotel who told me that the cost would be $40 per person per night. Total cost for the two weeks would be in our currency £717!!

Is the upgrade really worth it?

Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Returned yesterday and for us the upgrade was worth it since

Safe is free (normally $6 per day). Robes and slippers were nice. You each get a nice beach bag. A bottle of rum. Rooms are in a really nice location, ours were ocean front. 20% off in the stores. Separate check in. A half hour per day free internet in the golden club room. They pre-book 4 a la cartes for you (if you don't like the times they will try to change them for you). Plus if you need anything or have any problems the golden club people look after it for you and you don't have to go to the front desk.

It only cost us 20pp extra when we booked since we went last minute so it was well worth it.

But for you I don't think I would pay as much as they are asking.

Don't listen to the reviews we really liked the resort and did not meet anyone that would disagree.

Everyone we met said the same thing "who are these people that are compaining ?"

Edited: 04 December 2010, 17:15
Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Hello Gwen 2005,

I've been to Jamaica 5x already, & to the GBP 2x and going back this February. I feel that I can give you a pretty good idea.

1: If ur a complainer, and they know who they are. Some ppl just like to complaint about everything.

2: If ur going for the vacation/relaxation ur going to have a great time.

Food is great

Donnette our chambermaid was the best. We actualy write each other, & keep in touch. She services the 16th block area. If u want to ask for this block when u check in you won't be disappointed.

3: The place is spotless yes even the public bathrooms.

4: The gold club in my opinion is not worth the money ur going to pay.

Wow robe and slippers ... really internet access... I don't know about u, but the last thing I want to do on my vacation is go on the internet. The drinks, food and sun keeps me outside.

People sould really enjoy their vacations. Don't expect to be treated like royalties, ur not..... Relax and be greatful, ur very priviledged and lucky to be able to go on great vacations like that. A lot of people can't ever....

take care and feel free to email me if u need more info

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Canada
Level Contributor
629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Hi there,

I am going to this resort on the 23rd of dec. We have stayed at the GBP twice in Punta cana and loved it there.

Can anyone tell me some more details about this resort? I cant seem to read anywhere if the resorts are similar. Do they do the same thing with different colored wristbands? Is there pop and alcohol and water in the mini fridges?

Is there a tram? Are the resaturants scattered throughout the resort or do we all go to the main buffet for breakfast each day. I'm afraid I just don't have the time to research for this trip the way I did for the DR so I feel so unprepared going in.

Can anyone tell me their best tips?? Please !! I'm so scared after reading the reviews.

We booked a suite with ocean view...I love getting up in the morning and going out to the beach in my pjs when nobody else is there. Are any of the rooms or buildings even close to the beach or is it a 10 minute walk through the resort to get to the beach?

please...any help would be so great

Have any of you been to both resorts, the one in punta cana and the one in Jamaica that can compare for me?

Thanks

M-

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
ontario canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

hi m

just got back from jamacia last week, in april i was the the grand bahia punta cana ambar section (adults only) i liked jamaica better because the punta cana resort was just too big, we are early risers and i couldnt get right to the waterfront to get a palapa any day of the week we stayed. we were out by 7am every morning!! jamaica was no problem mon. except the actually beach is not as nice, i must say. its pebbley so i walked with my flip flops on......big deal the smaller beach part we stayed all week which was close to the beach bar and our rooms. i thought the food was better in jamaica. they have the same restaurant don pablo in both resorts... make sure you go there. our upgrade to royal golden was only a bit more as we went last minute too. but no line up to check in and we got our room around 1 instead of having to wait till 3 like most places. i just like jamacian people better than the dominicans. we tipped a lot drinks, buffet, restaurants and room cleaners (about 200 bucks all week) they deserve it. people seem to think they are your personal servants....treat them the way you want to be treated and you will love it..

hope this helps

undy

Canada
Level Contributor
629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Hi Undy

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. In Punta Cana our room was close to the beach but this time we aren't flying transat so are not able to upgrade. Can you give me some kind of idea how far it is to get to the beach from the rooms? Are some rooms right on the beach. I'm sorry but I am having a hard time picturing how this resort is laid out.. (duh) lol

Also, where are the a 'la carte restaurants? are they scattered throughout the resort like in the DR or all in the main building? Is the main buffet the only place to eat breakfast and lunch?

Thanks again for your help

ps how are the slushie drinks there?? (hehe)

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
ontario canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

the rooms are not that far from the beach, i would guess the farthest rooms would be a 6-8 minute walk . i would only be concerned if i had real mobility problem. the restaurants are all about the same walk. its a lot smaller than punta cana. they dont have the trolleys to get around as they really are not needed. there is 4 a l carte. make sure you get the don pablo. our least favourite was the "grill" try for the other three. lunch besides the buffet they have an outside outdoor grill which had jerk chicken and pork everyday...it was awesome and buffet stuff. remember the beach is pebbley so you have to wear flip flops that was it for complaints. make sure you take lots of suncreen at least spf15 uv's were really intense. as for cocktails. bloody marys at 10 beer and margaritas (not the frozen) the guy at the lunch grill made awesome shaken ones make sure you try them. tip them and they will look after you and remember you.

Canada
Level Contributor
629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Thanks!! I'm glad to hear some good stuff.

But there aren't slushie drinks?? No pina coladas or banana mamas?? Oh my how will I survive?? lol

I thank you so much, you have helped me get excited about going again. I'm afraid all these bad reviews had me worried

Happy Holidays

M-

ontario canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

your will even be happier to know, frozen everything!! daquaris, miami vices, dirty bananas, pina coladas.....or ask them to make you a suprise.....dont forget your insulated mug, beer and cocktails are little plastic cups. make sure its insulated as its so dam hot it gets warm quick.......and tip!!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

YAY !! lol

Doesn't take much to make me happy.

Thanks for all your help.

M-

Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrade to golden club at the Gran Bahia - is it worth it?

Just a comment on the beach. We just got back and yes the snorkelling beach is pebblie so you need sh.oes but the swimming beach was nice all sand no shoes necessary. We never used our water shoes there at all.

Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay