We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook UK Excursions

Oldham, Manchester
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook UK Excursions

i was wondering if anyone has any info on prices that Thomas Cook UK charge for excursions.

I always go with the tour operator, simply too scared to do it alone, but after reading the forum i have emailed Paul Williams for prices and wish to compare them to the price that TC are charging. There are only two of us, so want to see if it is cheaper to go through TC.

If they are competative, i may be brave and go it alone lol

I am looking at the typical excursions but yet have to look into them further really.

Luminous Lagoon

Nine Mile trip

Dunns river

Dolphin Cove

Shopping in Ocho Rios

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

When are you going, we are 2 people my husbans and I as well and plan to book a cab for one day to do dunn river falls and luminous lagoon. For the best prices more people are better. We are waiting until we get there to book but I spoke with Andrew Moodie this morning on Facebook and his price was pretty good and he could do any day we wanted.

Someone on here mentioned the cruise ships coming in cause the sites to be very crowded. I did check the week we are there Feb 6th to 13th and we will not go off site on the Sunday or Thursday to these places as there are ships in port. This is a great site with so many help full travelers. You might have the best success planning with people who are there at the same time.

Good luck and have a great trip:)

Oldham, Manchester
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

we are not going until May :(

it does make sense to share with someone tho. Paul Williams has given me a quote for the day in Ocho Rios - dunns river, dolphin cove and shoppin in Ocho Rios for $120 (this is obviously excluding entrance fees)

We will be looking at when the cruise ships are about. and by using a cab we will be able to do this much easier than being stuck to tour operators timetimes

Thanks for your reply though.

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Bolton
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

The TO's will be far more expensive than a private guide/driver. We never used the services of Thomas Cook for any excursions, we either arranged with Pauline at the local gift shop outside (she arranged dolphin cove $15 cheaper on the entry and a return taxi for $20)

We also used Chukka tours a few times in November and booked with the lady just at the bottom of the steps for the atv and dune buggy adventure both came out way cheaper than Patricks prices with Thomas Cook and Chukka provide the transport too.

I would go it alone always.

Just as a guide we hired a driver for the day too Noel took us to Nine Mile, Brownstown and shopping at Ochi $100.00 picked us up early in the morning and brought us back early evening and we had a great day with him, a really informative guide and a pleasure to spend the day with.

Edited: 31 January 2011, 16:50
Oldham, Manchester
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

Thanks for the reply- very informative.

I always want to go it alone but just nervous ha. And I always presumed ur would only work out cheaper if there was 4 of us.

Can I ask what brownstown is please?

Do u have an email address for the person u booked with my any chance?

Many thanks again

Cornwall
Level Contributor
149 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

Go it alone!! You will be absolutley fine mate. TC will charge a fortune. If you get a driver they will take you to all the places via the countryside, up mountains etc. They are full of knowledge. We got a guy from outside the hotel and we kept him all week, he was great.

Bolton
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

Hi there, sorry don't have Noel's contact details but if you head outside the complex there are plenty of drivers out there.

If Noel is not around then Maurice also comes highly recommended and he is a really unassuming gentle guy who will be happy to accomodate and style your trip around what you want to do.

Maurice will come and collect you outside resort and take you wherever you want to go - do not feel intimidates - its the greatest way to see Jamaica being taken off the beaten track and seeing what life is really like there is a much more rewarding experience rather than being herded on and off a packed coach full of tourists.......

Brownstown is a town up in the hills where where is a town hall, lots of churches and a large outdoor market which is great to walk around and you are not hassled at all, you will find friendly locals on the market who are eager to answer any of your questions and even let you try some of the food for free there is no obligation to buy anything and the whole vibe is great.

Not like Ochi which is more a tourist trap with overinflated prices to match!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

You will be quite safe to go it alone especially with Paul...we use him all the time..I have been all over Jamaica in my 9 trips and never felt scared or unsafe..

Paul will stay with you at all times..

He will stop for photo's whenever you want, take you somewhere nice for lunch and let you take as long as you want anywhere you are...with the tour bus with TC you are told how long you have and what time to get back on the bus..no fun at all..

You will have so much fun with Paul...

Edited: 01 February 2011, 12:37
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
8. Re: Thomas Cook UK Excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 13:16