We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horribel reviews??! Rebook???

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
horribel reviews??! Rebook???

Myself and two friends have booked the GBP for a week March 18th to the 25th. We decided to book this resort due to the great reviews at the time, a decent price and Air Canada rating it at a 41/2 to 5 star.

Since booking the reviews have scared me...poor service, horrible food, rocky beach, none or lousy entertainment, not enough beach chairs, unfriendly staff as well as a recent strike etc. etc

Is it really that bad and should we try and rebook another resort if possible??

I've been to Jamaica before, stayed in Mo Bay in a 3 star, love it, loved the country and the people. My two friends have never been to Jamaica and in fact have never really traveled. I am so hoping that they will have a wonderful experience in Jamaica and love Jamaica as much as I do. Now I'm concerned that our choice of resorts will be a downer.

Any thoughts, advice?

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

I wouldn't stay there...ever...but the reviews don't have anything to do with it...

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

4.5-5 stars??? Out of how many stars??

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

lol

If you can get moved down the road to Breezes Runaway Bay you'll find a much nicer beach and much better reviews overall...

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

Completely agree. For a usually similar price, I cannot imagine actually CHOOSING GBP over BRB.

Iowa
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

We just spent a week at Breezes Runaway Bay.......absolutely fell in love with it and the people who work there! Breezes gets my vote as well! We are beach dwellers....it was fantastic! and if you like to snorkel bring your gear!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

One of the reasons you booked this resort was based on reviews. Now your are considering re-booking based on bad reviews. Part of the problem maybe, people booking this resort expecting 4.5 star service. From what I know, change comes slowly in Jamaica. There is a good chance the reason you book the resort still exisit. Unless they fired all the staff, cooks and entertainment, something major would have to happen. The people going might have changed, all else could be the same. Any resort you move to could have a flood of bad reviews at the last minute.

I looked at both resorts, I like pretty, big, with cheap marble....GBP:-)

Edited: 04 February 2011, 04:06
Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

You made some good points mustbetripping. Thanks !

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

I looked at the last 10 reviews posted between Jan 29th throug Feb. 2nd One posters rated it a 1. Two posters rated it a 2, One poster rated it a 3, Four posters rated it a 4 and one poster it a 5. Lets drop the best and worst and focus on rating 2-4 rating. Majority of these posters enjoyed their vacation. The next 40 reviews are great, but you won't find eveyone liking it. Where are you seeing the bad reviews? Are you ignoring the positves ones?

Taking look one of the 2 rating:

"You have to walk long distances to reach all amenities."

This is typical of any mega resort and a look at any picture should have given a clue.

" If you are looking for rest and relaxation not going to happen"

Find a swim-up bar and don't move until you have a good reason.

"They also made our restaurant reservations, four nights only"

Typical of many mega resort that you can't get reservation every night

" The buffets get boring."

It's a buffeting and how many way can you present the food groups.

"Entertainment poor and far from the main hotel"

Poor is very subjective and far, mega resort issue

" Most of the staff, friendly but underpaid"

Does anyone think they could afford this vacation is if weren't swimming in the sweat of cheap labor?.

******"The day we left there was a strike"*********

This could explain change in service but someone reported that there was no noticeable change except having dinner reservations canceled. Positive reveiws have been posted since.

You have a choice, go with the people who have enjoyed their vacation or those whose expecations weren't not met.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 07:01
Cornwall
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: horribel reviews??! Rebook???

It's what you make of it, everyone has their own views. We spent 2 weeks there last year and are going back to get married this year. Don't expect people to work like slaves and you'll be fine. So what if you have to get up to go and get a drink? Do people really go on holiday just to put their towels down on a lounger at 5am?! The hallways are dirty...I didn't realise people spent time in hallways!! There is a sandy beach, it's to the left, again, it might be ' a long way' but the resort is pretty big.

I think some people expect too much, it's Jamaica, everything is done in Jamaican time. Give people a smile and you'll get one back....simple