We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brown's Town day trip

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Brown's Town day trip

We're at Breezes Runaway Bay for two weeks mid-April and aren't interested in doing the tours offered. Not finding a lot of info, but we are considering hiring a driver and going to the market in Brown's Town, then maybe on to Cave Valley - for the scenery, photography, and off-the-beaten track Jamaica and maybe a bit of shopping. Love his music, but not interested in going to Bob Marley site.

Would there be some hand crafts for sale on this route and if so, any idea what (carvings, paintings etc.?)

Any suggestions appreciated - re: good driver at reasonable rate, things to see on this route, travel time, estimate of cost.

So looking forward to the reward of Jamaica after a really horrible, non- ending winter in Alberta, Canada!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brown's Town day trip

Brown's Town is only 8 miles from Runaway Bay up very winding road. The town itself attracts people and business from other areas. On market day (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) you can buy any and everything. It's an open air market with items from fresh fruits to designer bags. The locals in Brown's Town do not make their living from tourism, so the attitude is different from Ocho Rios. Brown's Town is to businesses what Ocho Rios is to tourists.

What to do in Brown's Town:

- view an old fashion Anglican church which is by the market

-shop at the supermarket across from the market or check out Courts furniture store for price shock

-have your driver take you to Huntley to see beautiful and typical middle class homes

-Visit a local school such as Browns Town Primary on our way to Cave Valley

-Stop at the bar right before turning up the hill to St Hildas, one of the oldest girls school in the country.

-Stop at another bar at Top Road

Contact Paul Willaims, a driver highly recommended on TA.

Enjoy

Edited: 28 February 2011, 05:40
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brown's Town day trip

Cave valley gives some fantastic photo ops if the weather is right... We hit it once in-between storms and there was a double rainbow over the valley as the sun broke thru clouds... Probably one of the single most beautiful sights i ever saw!

Not sure about arts and crafts, never really paid attention much, but a bit further down the road by bourghbridge you can get roast yam and saltfish, always a treat of ours when we passed thru :)

Enjoy

Chelle

Edited: 28 February 2011, 08:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brown's Town day trip

And that might also be spelled borobridge or boroughbridge when it's not 3am in the morning! :)

Chelle

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brown's Town day trip

Brown's town is a great place to check out. WE do every trip and my wife always finds something. YOu will be able to get fruit even fresher then the Ochi market on many things as well as a better price. The market is an extensive one with out all the hassle of tourist town if you get me ;). We use Peat Taylor Tours . One of the top on Trip Advisor and around the web. chech them out and get the best prices on the island. www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com

Edited: 28 February 2011, 11:12
Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brown's Town day trip

Thanks to all for the quick replies! Sounds like a 'must do'! Many years ago I took the Governor's Coach into Cockpit Country - fabulous experience! Any/all further comments/suggestions appreciated!

More snow here today, then wicked cold temperatures and more snow all week - can't get to Jamaica soon enough!

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Brown's Town day trip

Between Cave Valley and Boroughbridge is a coffee Plantation, Baronhall Estate,not sure if they have tours though. Not far from Browns Town, is Dover raceway, which could be an adventure if there is a race while your in town.

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brown's Town day trip

rowns town is a great place to stop at. Lots of things to buy. Also have some patties at one of the local shops. Chat to the locals and the feel in this town is so more the jamaican feel than ochi. Not so frantic.

Visit a local school.

I use a highly recomended driver moodie. He has taken us to many places while there.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brown's Town day trip

I second the recommendation for Paul Williams. .. You can contact him at Paul849@hotmail.com or 876-381-3771

I have known him personally for almost 10 years now, he is the chairman of a basic school just outside of Brownstown and he lives there himself. You won't find a better driver or nicer guy.

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brown's Town day trip

Another recomendation for Paul Williams. He took us to Browns town last year and showed us all the sites. Felt very safe with him. He's a very nice man.

Iowa
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brown's Town day trip

I also recommend Paul Williams, we had a fantastic day with him! He is a very safe driver and quickly became our friend! We took school supplies to a local pre-school in Brownstown and plan on doing that again on our return visit!! If you let him know what your interests are he could help you with ideas as well!

Have a wonderful trip!! We wish we were back!