We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkling in area??

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best snorkling in area??

I'll be at Starfish Feb 18-25. I plan to bring my own mask and fins. Where should I go for great snorkling in the area? Do you need to charter a boat or can you get to good spots from shore? Can you take a taxi to some good spots nearby?

Thanks.

missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkling in area??

If you like to snorkle I would stay at breezes runaway bay. Great beach where you can get to some good snorkling right off the beach. Just returned jan 29, had the time of our lives. Don't know about the starfish but went by there on the way to breezes. Didnt look too impressive from the outside.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkling in area??

Greetings fishguy,

There are lots of good options for you... you can go right off shore which is ok, you can walk down to the far east end of the beach and swim out to the reef from there (not far at all) where the viewing is much better. You can go with the resort snorkeling boat to a couple of different sites, you can also go over and go out with the Pebbles boat which is a half mile west. For some even better snorkeling you might consider seeing if you can go over to Runaway Bay or Rio Bueno which are from 30 minutes to an hour east.

Blessings and respect, ENJOY!

Steve

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkling in area??

Hey fishguy,

Jamaica Steve filled me in on a great snorkling spot about 1/2 mile up the beach from starfish. A fellow nearby will take you for $5 pp, after that we plan on going every day ourselvs.Love to snorkel.

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkling in area??

Thats funny Steve, we must have replied at the same time.

spain
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkling in area??

i went a lot in runaway bay and it was fantastic ,just offshore i saw ,octapus ,rays, moray eelsloads of different fish and the best of all lots of barracoudas,here is a photo i took of one in 5 feet of water .

photobucket.com/albums/…

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkling in area??

i'll be there 2-27. i am into snorkling n scuba. sometimes you can get a guy w/boat to take you to good spots. luminous lagoon at nite, real good. lets hook up and see if we can find some good spots.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkling in area??

Hey fishguy!

I will be at the Starfish March 5 - 12 with my own mask and fins. Please let me know if you find anything good within walking distance, I love to snorkel!!

Thanks

Buffalo, NY
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Best snorkling in area??

My husband and I will be at the starfish feb 20-25th and we love to snorkel too...we'll see you there!

Melbourne, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best snorkling in area??

Leaving tomorrow morning (at the Starfish from 15-22)..Can't wait to do some snorkling. Good tips here.

Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best snorkling in area??

Hi!

My husband and I (baby and my mom too) are going end of April. We LOVE to snorkel. We live in Colorado, so we aren't scuba divers, but would love any tips on good spots. Also, anyone who is interested in going snorkeling April 22- May 1 let me know. We are staying at Starfish.

~Alina

Dennali2000@yahoo.com