We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to see Dunns River.

USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
best way to see Dunns River.

I usually avoid the super touristy excursions but everyone seems to say DR falls is a must do. What's the best time to go to avoid huge crowds and can I find an independent taxi to get me there without spending a lot? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

We went early in the morning to avoid the crowds and it was a nice easy climb...

There are lockers there that you can hire for $8 to put your belongings in and you get $3 back when you return the key.

The cheapest way is to get a taxi to Dunns...climb the falls and get a taxi back or ask the taxi driver to come back and pick you up later..

You will find plenty of taxi's at your resort...but dont get ripped of...ask around for the best price.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 14:11
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

avoid the cruise ship crowds - check the schedule for Ocho Rios. I think you'll find it least crowded early in the day and late in the afternoon. We went in the late afternoon - after 4:30 there was practically no one around.

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

Early morning or late afternoon. Definately not mid day as very crowded then. Do take your time when doing them. You dont have to hold hands and go with other groups. Dont be made to feel rushed as you need to capture the beauty of the falls

Get a taxi from your hotel or see what one of the recomended drivers are charging

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

The cattle mosey back to the ship early afternoon.

USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

haha definitely trying to avoid the herd! thanks

USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

Thanks a lot!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
829 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

In march we went in the early morning and it as packed. People from other groups crossing through our etc. We liked doing a catamaran cruise to snorkel, dunns river, and party!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

can you walk at the side all the way up. my knees not good and don't think i'll be able to walk all the way up but would like to walk to see the whole falls and maybe go into some of the pools can i do this or is it going to be a waist of time.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
829 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

You can take the stairs beside the falls but cannot just go to e pools in the falls. The water is rushing very fast anyways. My sister in law also has bad knees and I already told her that I think it would be too difficult for her. We were there in march but I don"t know if it ,Ames a difference as to the time of year. We are going in July and will probably take a catamaran cruise snorkeling and to Dunn river. She will enjoy that!

10. Re: best way to see Dunns River.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 05:31