We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infant care at Starfish

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Infant care at Starfish

Anyone know how strict they are abt the 6 month age limit on infant care at the Starfish? Our baby will be 10 days away from 6 months when we go. I figured a couple extra bucks flipped to them would maybe make a difference in "overlooking"?? How do they know the exact age anyway? Do they check his birth cert upon check in? He is very large for his age and most people mistake him for being older anyway. Any advice on the care they offer for infant care would be much appreciated- do they offer after hours babysitting for a fee? If anyone has used their service- comments? THANKS!!

Chukka Caribbean Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Pablo Tours Jamaica
Eco Tours, City Tours
Julious Tours Jamaica
River Rafting & Tubing, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Infant care at Starfish

I've not used but looked in and watched the caregivers around the property. They are very good with children and everyone I talked to was quite happy with the service. Can't imagine how they'd know the exact age of your child, especially if he's big for his age. They offer after hours service as well and it is an hourly rate.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
67 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi debted, when are you going to Starfish? My hubby and I will be there at the end of April. We're also traveling with our son who is 1 1/2. I was a bit worried about the child care also, but after all the positive posts i've read I don't think there is anything to worry about and that they do take very good care of the children in their charge. We are soooooo looking forward to being able to have some time as a couple again...lol. I'm sure our son will have a great time too...he's a waterbaby and he's going to love the pools. Hope you have a great time, and relax, it's Jamacia mon!

Barb

Germany
Level Contributor
408 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Infant care at Starfish

I dont remember them checking a birth cert at the resort at check in. I felt comfortable leaving Jaden in the baby club. He was 22 months at the time. The ladies that work there are great. Go and have fun.

ri
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi Debted

I just came back from starfish with my three children youngest 12 months. Both he and his brother went to the kids center everyday,the 4 year old loved it and the the baby extended his arms out them when he saw them.Believe me when I tell you that my husband and I don't allow anyone accept for family to watch our children I was nervous until we met these very special people , they were the nicest lovliest people I have ever met .The center it self is very clean there is a place for the baby to nap , they come for you if there are any problems and they follow your schedule so that your childs routine is not disrupted. The cost was five dollars per child per day which was extremely cheap the hours were like 9-5 and if you wanted a babysitter later there was a fee, we never used after hours service but like I said during the day the two children were with them . Consider bringing a stroller its just that much easier plus the girls take the kids for walks along the resort. I wish I could go back tommorrow !!!!! I had read some awful post about starfish in general and was so upset we had picked that resort until we got there and found something totally different My husband and I have been to all the islands now but 2 and hands down JAMAICA HAS BEEN THE BEST I now understand why people keep going back . I ran out of food for the baby on the last day so I went to the gift shop in the resort to buy more but all they had was gerber fruit and I needed cereal (ryan is still on babyfood because of GI problems) so the girl in the store gave me her cell phone and took her friends and went into town for me to the grocery store and told me what they had and bought it and brought it back now that was nice .I know that if that happened to me here in the states they would say thats your problem get a taxi and go to the store yourself!!!! It was refreshing to be around such nice people who really care about each other and others around them despite not having much themselves,even though it is a no tipping resort we tipped people discreetly and also left things behind like toiletries that I had picked up extras so I could leave them behind for housekeeping along with the childrens clothes that I knew would not fit them in the summer,if you decide to do something like that just write a note stating you are leaving them behind so that way the girls don't have any problem passing security. Another thing take advantage of Bamboo Village what a great bunch of people so proud of there work , they are not pushy at all if you do not want to buy they say NO PROBLEM MON and leave you alone We made friends with LUcky he does some unbelieve wood carvings and showed our 4 year old son his craft he also engraved a mug for our daughter who is 17 to take to college its was just a great cultural experience , its all about respect!! I apologize for rambling but I just want people to realize what a great place starfish is for families , the rooms are very very basic but clean we had a few maybe 3 tiny tiny sugar ants in our room but no other bugs and because of the post that I had read I had brought all kinds of bug sprays clorox bleach antibacterial wipes none of that was needed ,I did however wipe down the crib but thats the nurse in me!!! The crib was clean though , I did and would advice you to bring a fitted crib sheet standard size and a light blanket.Pack baby food and ready made formula in a separate suit case that you can carry on .I had packed baby needs in diaper bag and carry ons which is allowed on the plane I bought a bottle warmer but it really was not needed they have a microwave in the buffet area that they will gladly take out of storage for you like I said they are very accomadating I hope this has helped and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask have a great time wish it was me again Cindy

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi Cindy- thank you so much for your great input! Our family is arriving April 6th thru the 13th. We will be staying two additional nights at Time n Place right next door. Im feeling alot more confident abt leaving my little one- plus we have a 6 y.o that will be at the "camp" as well to oversee some of the times. (She is VERY protective of her little brother LOL) Let me know if you and yours will be there during any of that time and we can hook up for a drink pooside/beachside! Have a wonderful vacation!!! Deb

ri
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi Deb,

I'm glad you found the post helpful if there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate I wish I was heading back in April but unfortunately we won't be back until next year . Have a great safe trip, and have a frozen mud slide for me they are great !!!!! Alittle advice though pack some plastic cups like the 16oz. or bigger with you . Their cups are very small an this way you don't have to keep making trips to the bar you can just lay back and enjoy!!!!!!! Cindy

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Infant care at Starfish

You have no need to worry Deb, the childcare workers are FABULOUS and completely competent professionals. This may sound odd, but most children are actually safer with them than with their parents!

I suggest you hire them one evening as well to enjoy the beautiful Casablanca Restaurant.

Have an awesome vacation, please pass my blessings on to my friend Tony (he's the owner of Time and Place)

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Germany
Level Contributor
408 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi Cindy

You guys are going back. When? I bet you are glad you went. We are also thinking about getting the 5 for 5. Talk to you soon.

Melissa

ri
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi Melissa

Hope things are going well, I think I would like to try going next year toward the spring , as you know the weather was not all that great in January but who cares we were in Jamaica right !! We are also looking into the 5 for 5 it sounds like a great deal. Do you know if there is a deadline on buying into it? I t was very nice meeting you guys. Talk to you soon . Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Infant care at Starfish

Hi Melissa- Hey we just purchased the 5 for 5 and it was a STEAL! If you purchase before the end of Feb '06 you will get 3 extra nights for free. Thats 28 nights for $3500 US. For anyone who is isnt familiar with the 5 for 5- that $3500 INCLUDES all taxes, surcharges, resort fees, etc. There are NO HIDDEN COSTS! It is good for 2 adults and one child (under 2 no charge and not considered child) per room. That makes it 120$/night for 3! WOW! You cant beat that ANYWHERE! Only blockout dates are Easter weekend (Thurs- Sun) and Christmas week. We couldnt believe it! Tania (5 for 5 rep) at the resort is AWESOME and you can double up your nights and get 2 rooms (we did this so my daughter could bring her friend- and it cost us NOTHING!) If anyone has any other questions, Id be happy to help if I can. Cheers! Deb