We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

Nebraska, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

Need advice on attractions.. Going to BRB in February. Purpose of this vacation is relaxation but as I start looking into more and more Jamaica has to offer I am starting to think I would be wasting an awesome trip by not exploring a little bit.

One I am looking at is the Luminous Lagoon. How far is that from BRB and is it worth the time?

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

I'm not sure of the distance (not to far i think) but it is something you should see once in your life. I saw it in Puerto Rico, one of the other very few places in the world you can see it. Well worth it!!!!!! It's amazing!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

It is an amazing experience, and something I believe everyone should see at least once. One very important thing, make sure it is not an overcast day when you do see it, and also make sure it isn't a full moon as both ruin the effect. It was very difficult for us to see it when we went as it was in fact both.

Cheers, Hope this helps!

Mike

Ontario
Level Contributor
476 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

Hi there,

Have been to the Luminous Lagoon twice and it is something magical to see.

With only around 6 places in the world that have the"bioluminesent dino flaggelates" , how could you miss it.

Last year we were in Jamaica end of January for a wedding and about 14 of us went. Captain Jerry was fantastic.

They tour around the lagoon, then towards the end you have the opportunity to jump in for a swim. Jerry was very tolerant of our desire to spend a little more time playing in the water.

Definitely something to consider, in my opinion.

Cheers, enjoy your trip.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

Hi BridgitK -We loved the luminous Lagoon too. We made an evening of it and ate at the restaurant there called Glistening Waters. A bit pricey but really good!

Be sure to go in to the water in the lagoon. And Bring a plastic water bottle with you to fill with the water there. We did and it would still glow in the dark 3 days later when you shook it.

We are at the RDCC Feb29-Mar8/2012 and will probably go there again!

Enjoy your trip!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

Sask-great idea!! My bushbaby would love that! We tried to catch fire flies in North Carolina with no sucess so this would be even better!

There is no shame to relaxing! and best to do in Jamaica! I always feel at peace even moving around but always feel like I need a vacation to recop from my Jamaica journey! I too am planning a more relaxing trip this Feb with my bushbaby. Don't know if you are taking your adorable lil girl in the pic...but I just heard about the Captin Hook pirate ship in Falmouth. There is a dinner/show with fighting pirates but I'm going to look into if they give tours during the day.

Raftiing down the Martha Brae is a great journey!

Just pick a few and make the most of relaxing!

PEACE!

Orangeville, Ill
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

When in february are you going.We get in on the 22nd and want to do the lagoon too, maybe we could get a taxi and split the cost, let me know..

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

I too go to Jamaica to relax. A trip to Luminous Lagoon or rafting down the Martha Brae using your own driver can be great and certainly not stressful.

Sudbury, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

How far is Luminous Lagoon from Runaway Bay? We are going mid-April. Is that a good time to see it?

Iowa
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

We did Luminous Lagoon last January! It was amazing and less than twenty minutes from Breezes Runaway Bay, we used Paul Williams for our transportation, had a great time...enjoy your trip! We had a wonderful relaxing time there, can't wait to get back!

Ohio
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attractions - Luminous Lagoon

Don't miss it! its an amazing experience!

Here's some info about the luminous lagoon:

yourjamaicantourguide.com/come-experience-th…

Alrick Allen was our driver! It was a great experience