We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities at Starfish

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Activities at Starfish

Hi! Can anyone recommend some fun activities for me and my sister? We really want to do some snorkeling, I was looking into the Cool Runnings tour, it looks fun-have any of you went? We are by no way professional snorkelers, just going to have some fun!

We also definitely want to swim with the Dolphins, we were looking at Dunns Cove? Has anyone been there? And do you know approx how much it costs? I saw a price listed online for about $190, plus another $45 for enterance to the park.

And we're also interested in doing stuff at night-is there like a party bus or booz cruise any one can recommend? Yay so excited! Anyone else going for Labor Day? I knoww so far away :(

Thanks in advance!

Jeannine

new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Activities at Starfish

I am soo jealous! That's an awesome deal!! We will be there from 8/31-9/5. I'm so excited your around our age, we will definetly be hanging out!! lol.

I saw a great price on travelocity then I clicked away and back it was up again! You really gotta book it as soon as you see it! I think we are spending about $690 each hotel (all inclusive and airfare Air Jamaica)

12. Re: Activities at Starfish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2006, 19:50
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Activities at Starfish

I just entered the dates in the hotel tab for Jamaica MBJ (Montego Bay Airport). You can also enter dates and use the quick check with TripAdvisor. The key is to check every morning - and don't wait if you see rates close to what you are looking for. These rates were gone in less than 24 hours when I made the booking. These are also summer rates. Right now Skyauction has a auction for 7 nights plus airfare from Miami that will probably close out at a really good deal. (That's what I do anyways - fly from MSP to MIA and than MIA to MBJ).

new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Activities at Starfish

Hey Eagle! Thanks for the info! We just really want to swim with the dolphins, I'm not so into the whole tour! I'm going to check out that website now.

Thanks!!

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Activities at Starfish

Hi Jeannine! FYI- on 2/20/2006 I received a reply email directly from Dolphin Cove regarding the prices- I was quoted the following: SWIM - $179 ENCOUNTER SWIM-$101

and TOUCH - $46. These prices INCLUDE general admission to the park. They did not include the price for general admission ONLY w/o any of the dolphin programs, so I do not know the exact price for those who want to go but not do dolphins. These prices DO NOT include transportation. Froom Starfish I have read you can anticipate abt $20/pp for a R/T cab ride. This is quite a bit more than last years prices, just some 6 months ago or so! Hope this helps. 6 more days and counting!! CHEERS and HAPPY TRAVELS! Deb

Bennington, Vermont
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Activities at Starfish

Just got back from doing Dolphin Cove and Dunn's River Falls in one day - definitely not a problem to fit both in one day.

We did Dunn's River first - admission was in the high teens (maybe $16 each?) and CASH ONLY. Be careful going through the shopping village on the way out - a little pushy. The guys we had doing the tour up the waterfall were great.

We booked Dolphin Cove through Starfish guest relations, as you must have a reservation and they fill up fast. It cost us $110 for the swim encounter per person (I think it is $101 if you book it yourself). Transportation was not included in the package and with combining transport to Dunns Falls as well, cost us $120 for two adults & two children, round trip. I don't remember if you said you were staying at the Starfish or not...it is quite a ride to get there. Let me know if you have any more questions...I brought home info from the trip to post so I wouldn't forget details (and now I'm typing away from home :)

Bennington, Vermont
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Activities at Starfish

Sorry...I'm exhausted. You did say you were staying at the Starfish. Time for me to go to bed...

I definitely recommed Dunns Falls and Dolphin Cove. We snorkeled through the resort and I have mixed reviews about that - if you have the time and money to go on an outside tour then I'd do that. Also visit Glistening Waters/Luminous Lagoon - it's a few minutes from the resort (by taxi - wouldn't want to walk it, especially at night when you'd be going). There is a booze cruise you can book through guest services; we didn't do it since we had our children with us. Plenty of drinking going on at the resort as well. You will probably be disappointed with the Bubbles Disco at the resort, unless you have a much more partying crowd than we had and everyone goes and makes the best of it.

RAWLINS, WYOMING
12 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Activities at Starfish

Hi Jeannine. 10 of us (most of us late 20's/early 30's) are going at the end of May. We are due to arrive May 22nd. How about you? Friends are getting married while we are there. Just like you said "Can't wait". We've been doing a count down and the closer it gets the harder it gets to wait. :o) Geez, we are worlds away from each other... New York to Wyoming. Different worlds, I'm sure. Maybe we'll meet up in wonderful Jamaica. Take care.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Activities at Starfish

I wanted to swim with the dolphins too. Last year the prices seemed a lot cheaper for almost everything. You can get into dolphins cove for $20. I was going to do the encounter which is $110 on the resorts listing and just pay $20 for my boyfriend to come along, however like others have said you have to pay for transportation. From other people at the resort I heard the drive is long and you only get a 1/2 hour with the dolphins and a 1/2 hour touring their nature area. The one where the dolphins actually push you along is $180.

If you want to go on a trip, most of them are at least 45min drives and you can expect to pay around $100 for most tours. Dunns River Falls and the Luminous Lagoon are the cheaper trips and are worth going to I think. The Lagoon has a mushy ground you walk on, but to watch all the little organisms glowing when you move is not easy to find in most parts of the world so just wear water shoes if you go. I recommend bringing your own if you plan on doing tours that involve water.

As for nightlife, Margaretville is available for you to go to, but if I remember right they bring you back around 2. The place starts getting fun around 12:00, so for 3 hours before hand you can hang-out up stairs and listen to the band or just drink the poorly made margaritas.

For a booze cruise, I didn't see any on the hotel flyer except sunset type cruises that bring you back around 9pm. There is a bar across from the hotel that is opened late and they play better music than bubbles. We never went in though because you have to pass all the beggars to get there. One night we went to a beach part just east of the hotel. I think we might have been the only tourist there, but that's what made it fun. We paid a cover charge, but once on the other side of the fence there where speakers set-up on the beach about 10 feet high. It was cool. They had a couple guys mixing music and it was relaxing to just listen to the music and drink. If you go to something like that, bring Jamaican money and bathroom paper. There were not any bathrooms on the beach.

We just got back from Jamaica on the 17th and it was our second time at the Starfish. --Keep in mind it's one of the cheapest all-inclusive resorts and you get what you pay for. Well, I personally think you get more, but it seems like there were quite a few unhappy customers. Eat at Munsan even if you don't think you'll like it. I suggest people eat at all of the restaurants at least once when they first get there. One couple we met was very disappointed that they waited till the last night to eat at Munsan. I think I'm babbling now, so if you have any questions let me know.