We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery in Jamaica

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Jewellery in Jamaica

So I know when I go to the Dominican Republic that I am shopping for a new piece of Larimar........is there anything special from Jamaica??? are there prices on gold and silver good

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Chukka Caribbean Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Julious Tours Jamaica
River Rafting & Tubing, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Pablo Tours Jamaica
Eco Tours, City Tours
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

You will find larimar in Jamaica. Also Caribbean Blue Diamonds. You can get pretty good deals duty free.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

AHHHH YES....Caribbean Blue Diamonds....Jamaica is where I first say these BEAUTIFUL sparkly little gems, to my husbands dismay!

Even though I have seen some of the most gorgeous blue diamonds ever in JA, I would NEVER buy them there. This is too big of a purchase to make out of my home country.

My rule of thumb when it comes to buying luxury items is to never spend more then I am willing to lose. There have been way to many stories of people getting home with their fake "Rolex" or beautiful Sapphire that lasted a few months until it was cleaned. All of sudden they had 1/2 a blue stone and half white stone.....OOOPS.....with it being purchased from a well known reputable jewelry store on the Island.

A white zircon can pass for a diamond to the casual customer. A nice blue zircon is a dead ringer for a blue diamond. Unless you are a jeweler or are carrying a portable refactor with you it could be a costly mistake.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

LOL, I am with you frodo - JA was where I first laid eyes on the blue diamonds too, and my fascination began!

For me, jewelry from JA is more about the beautiful handcrafted pieces I have bought on the beach - one of my favorite necklaces is a gorgeous hematite and tiger eye combination that people always comment on.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

I understand the concerns above but, I have and have friends that have bought blue diamond in Ja, brought them back and had them apraise for much more. The real thing!

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

I bought a ring a few years back with a "carribean topaz" on it. I had never heard of it before and thought it was gorgeous. I spent a little more than i wanted to and luckily i didn't spend much more because i did some research when i got home and realized the topaz is that color becuase they paint a chemical on it. In time the coloring will come off :(

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

glad to hear that I can get Larimar.....I'm kind of partial to it. I wear it in the winter when I'm missing the carribean

Saint John, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

got a nice ring with blue diamonds my girl picked out at iberostar resort in mobay got it for less than 60 % of inital asking price. I did walk out the door after my offer but the guy sent his brother out to get me . i held my ground and my girl got the ring .

Edited: 16 March 2012, 01:24
Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

Save your money on the "blue diamonds". They're poor quality diamonds that are treated.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

Then why do they appraise so much higher here in the States?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewellery in Jamaica

ALL Blue Diamonds are treated. Do you know how much a NATURAL Blue Diamond would cost IF you could find one? It would be in a museum!

They are irradiated. Some of the darker ones will have inclusions just like a SI1 diamond. The lighter Caribbean Blue Diamonds start out as VSI1 or higher. They will start out with a slightly yellow tinge....if that is what you are considering a less quality?

Edited: 16 March 2012, 20:51