We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

I have stayed at both Decamerons in Jamaica, Panama and Bucerias, Mexico. I just happened to be one of those people who just found myself using their resorts. I was shocked to see that they are using this beautiful resort for stricly a certain nationality during the winter and leaving out other people who have patronized their facilities over the years. This is downright discrimination. Why are some nationalities like that. You want to bring your customs and lifestyle into someone's country as if you own it and when we go to your country we have to adapt to your lifestyle. And from what I have heard they have been treating the staff like dogs. Is the government allowing their people to be treated like this? It is a disgrace that the owners are giving preference to another nationality and depriving people from staying at the hotel of their choice. Maybe people should stop going to their chains in Jamaica and see what happens.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

To be honest, I looked into their resort before and decided against it for several reasons, one of them being the subject you are writing about. In shifting through threads and reviews I found out about possibly being asked to stay at another property etc and that was the icing on the cake. We won't be staying there so their reputation is out there for those who do the research.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

We booked this resort prior to knowing about the invasion because the reviews were awesome. Once the invasion started the reviews tanked.

Our traveling companions did not want to change resorts so we all agreed to go. We had no issues upon check in.

The resort was 95% occupied by Club Lookea. My hubby and I had a wonderful time at the resort! We had suite 401. With the exception of one evening of incredibly loud music coming from a private residence next door to the property it was pretty quite. There were some barking dogs the first week we were there but they really were not too loud. The entire second week even the dogs stopped making noise.

What bothered us was the separation of the nationalities. It was pretty clear that the entertainment staff from Club Lookea did not want anyone that was not with them to participate in their activities. During the day the Jamaican entertainment team was pretty much non existent.

The food was pretty darn good especially on Jamaican night. They really needed to have Jerk Chicken available every day at lunch. We did speak to several managers including Pedro Gonzales the GM on several occasions. While we had a really good time I doubt we would return IF they continued inviting this same tour company back with an exclusive contract.

I have no problem with any nationality but when you sell your soul for the almighty dollar then I want no parts of it.

The French did not do anything to us personally but SOME were quite rude to the staff. We were there on the last Friday of the occupation. It was amazing the difference in the staff. I wish we could have stayed a few days longer to really enjoy the hospitality of our Jamaican hosts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

My problem with the owners of this resort is that when you open a resort in a country, it should reflect the country and its people. Why would you sell out to a nationality? I have been to Cuba many times and I remember asking the staff at one of the museums why they don't have the captions written in English. They told me then they would have to explain everything in every other language. You come with your English tour guide and they do the translation. That was at two big museums. Otherwise some places had both Spanish and English speaking guides. Cubans tour guides are University graduates and they are required to learn more than one language, some of them speak three languages fluently. So they pair them off with the group speaking either French, Germain or English when they go on tours. Jamaica is a country where there is still a lot of illiteracy or I should say functioning illiterates. How could this hotel chain bring in a group that dominates the hotel if they speak another language. It must be very insulting and intimidating to the Jamaican people. These foreign people are all speaking another language and could be ill-speaking them right in front of their face. We are talking about a hotel that brings in the majority of people who speak the same foreign language and their staff and reschedule their activities to suit them only and do not think about other nationalities. It is also not fair to other people who do not speak French. You leave you home expecting 7 nights of English/Jamaican entertainment and staff because you are going to Jamaica and another language is thrown in your face. You are also sent to another resort where you never planned to stay. A resort that is now being set up. Canada is a bilingual country and unless you go to Quebec (and you know this before hand) you will not encounter this type of discrimination. If they want this special treatment, they should go to the French Riviera or the French islands in the West Indies or other parts of the world where there are beaches. This hotel chain is making enough money and they do not have to go this route. And for these French guests, if they do not want to experience the Jamaican culture and their people and language, they should stay at home. It is such a disgrace that discrimination is practiced so blatantly when people have to save hard all year to take a vacation and be treated like this when they get there. I am learning French, again (since my school days). Why because I am going to spend a vacation with my English friends who own a place in France. I also relearned some Spanish when I was up and down going to Cuba and Mexico. So that I could mingle with the people and enjoy their country. Pretty soon everyone will stop going to their resorts and they will see what will happen to their business. Winter is when we try to escape the cold weather not summer, so what is up with the owners of this resort. Have they lost their minds?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

I am confused. Can someone explain what the issue is?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

What type of people do they employ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

The agreement with the French during the winter months. You can check the reviews.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 00:04
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
588 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

I would usually say what you read...take with a grain of salt....however...check out the reviews..

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

I completely agree with you Ginger. I told one of the managers they sold their soul for the sake of money.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

But you can't lump all the Decameron's together (at least not yet). The "French Invasion" only goes on at RDCC. It doesn't go on at the other resorts (yet). RDMB and the new RDFC don't have this takeover. So I don't know if it's Decameron ownership or if it's RDCC management.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surprise at what is going on at RDCC

Aren't they all owned by the Decamerons? Or does the management for each place do what they want without the consent of the owners? I don't know how this really works. What I know is that they are going to loose a lot of their old clients. You can't push people to go where they don't want to and it is very sad that all these people who researched and planned to stay at RDCC were sent somewhere else and had to be shuttled back and forth. If I know this is the case, I will surely go somewhere else if I am going to Jamaica during the winter months. I thought that the cottages/village atmosphere was one of the big features. I still think that this is the beginning of the end for this chain in Jamaica. Trying to convert a resort to please the French in a British place is ridiculous. They would have been sued if they were in North America for misleading people.