We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which resort

wicked in wickford
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
which resort

First time in Jamaica, and trying to decide between Runaway Bay, Negril and Montego Bay. We like to get 'off site' and go for a walk locally when on holiday. Like the look of Runaway Bay but are there any resorts that we can go off for a walk, maybe find a local bar, shops and feel safe, or are we really looking at 7 mile beach region. We want an AI resort.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which resort

You have The Jewel Runaway Bay, Royal Decameron Club Caribbean and Fun Caribbean. All have things within walking distance. Though JRB's bar is Flavor's, on the beach and medium size.

The resort is awesome though.

Here are some things to do in the Runaway Bay area.......

You have Cardiff Beach/Flavors to the right and Sharkies to the Left. Plenty of party spots just outside the resort and the British Bull Dog right across the street.

Then you have........

Turtle RIver Gardens which is the former Enchanted Gardens Resorts with 14 waterfalls and BEAUTIFUL!

turtleriverfallsandgardens.com/about_us

Martha Brae River Rafting is a must do

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147311-d153…

Dunns River Falls is a must do at least once!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d204…

If you are wanting to do something the locals do then go to the Bend Down Market in Falmouth on Wednesday Morning! You will see how the Jamaicans shop for everything from food to clothes and everything in between. Go early in the morning since it will be cooler.

Luminous Lagoon is a real treat.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

You can do things like Mystic Mountain of you are looking for Zip lines and Bob Sledding. This is $$$ though.

Ask a taxi driver to take you to Firewater and to Brownstown for a tour. Do a tour of the market, school and town.

Discovery Bay is a nice little stop for a 15 minute walk around.

Ask a taxi driver to take you to the Bauxite overlook. BEAUTIFUL!!

Stop at Sharkies for a nice snorkel tour and lunch.

Green Grotto Caves but you cannot swim there anymore, at least we could not in April.

IDK if the Pirate Gallon ship is still doing the dinner show/tour or not. It was very $$$$$ but the reviews were good.

You also have the Rockland Bird Sanctuary but that is closer to Mo'Bay way,

There are several other gardens to tour if that type of thing interest you. There are Shaw Park Gardens which is one of the best in the area.

Outameni Museum in Falmouth, I would not go here just to go by itself. But if you are in the area it is good to stop in.

http://www.outameni.com/

Hope this gives you some ideas. We enjoyed most of these things and have done them all except the Pirate Ship since it was just too expensive.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which resort

I do not consider either JRB nor Royal Decameron Club Caribbean and Fun Caribbean as having walkable interests. See this sat image: wikimapia.org/…b

The AI resorts in Negril are right beside a town. Long Bay section of the 7-mile beach (about 5 miles long) is filled with interesting bars, pubs and eateries. All by just waliking onto the beach.

Excursions would include YS Falls, Mayfield Falls, Black River Safari (fresh water crocs), light house, Pelican bar, luminous blue pool, the Jungle night club (Thursday is ladies night), beach zone and cliffs zone (where the upscale eateries are located), calm Negril bay with excellent snorkeling, diving and sailing.

Negril sat image: wikimapia.org/…b

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which resort

Frodo, could u be a bit more detailed. Just kidding! Great response!

Lansing, Iowa
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which resort

I will be at Jewel Runaway Bay in January and I could not see how far Sharkies is from Jewel on the map....Frodo or Hedo...can one of you give me an idea how far it would be to walk there?

thanks

Maryann

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which resort

Iowa, it's a bit to far to walk IMO. Flavours is within walking distance for sure!

Enjoy!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which resort

You have to walk the road from JRB to Sharkies. It took about 20-30 minutes or 8 minutes in a cab. We did the cab the first day, 6 people was $10.00 total.

It really is not far. I was surprised how close things were.

@Hedo, maybe you do not consider either JRB nor Royal Decameron Club Caribbean and Fun Caribbean as having walkable interests but I can assure you we walked to a lot of things in April.

Once we took a cab to BRB/JRB & Sharkies that first day from RDCC to know where we were going and where things were we walked most places.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 23:41
wicked in wickford
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which resort

thanks guys. If we go down the 7 mile beach route, as you say, Long Beach is probably best. What AI are in this area please. Sure l'm gonna have a lot more questions. Thanks again.

Nuneaton...
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which resort

Hi

Look at www.negrilonestop.com/

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

1november

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which resort

Pineapple, If this is your first visit to Jamaica, in my humble opinion, I would not put Runaway Bay as my first visit stay. There is not an exciting night life, not alot of shops, albeit, there are a few more businesses now than when I stayed in Runaway Bay, which was about my 6th stay in Jamaica.

As a newbie to Jamaica, I much preferred Montego Bay or Negril....there is just a lot more available on foot, to be seen, than in Runaway Bay.

Again, It's just my opinion as a relatively experienced traveler to Jamaica. Each city has its own charms, but, if I had traveled to Runaway Bay , the first time I went to Jamaica, I probably would not have visited Jamaica again. There was just not enough to do, locally, to entertain me, as a "youngster".

:)

wicked in wickford
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which resort

thanks Debadeb, will put that to the others. We are a group of 3 couples, myself and hubbie, and our two daughters and their other halfs. It funny, but the youngest 2 don't want to wander off the resort (which ever one we pick), except for day excursions. It's us 'oldies' who like to venture off, meet the locals and see more of the real Jamaica. None of us want the 'clubbing' experience, but a nice beach bar wouldn't go amiss. Now what do you think?