We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP - Gifts for Maids

Ontario
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
GBP - Gifts for Maids

Any suggestions of what to bring for the maids etc as gifts

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

I have always heard folks bringing them hand lotions, bath soap, etc. Also candles & good chocolotes.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

Hello, I'm a new-traveler here, planning a trip to Runaway Bay.

Is this etiquette to give gifts to the maids at the resort/hotel?

I assume "maids" are the hotel attendants that tidy the rooms after each day or so?

Thanks for your advice!

Gilford, NH
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

It is not etiquette per say...we have in the past and do not always do so. We have done as stated above.... lotions, nylons, candies. They probably appreciate a few dollars each day more since the pay is so low at these resorts.

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

Is it hard for the maids to get good soap like in Cuba?

How about perfume?

Edited: 28 August 2012, 21:44
Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

A simple 'Thank You' card with a Digicel card with credit inside.

Cards are light-weight... you can then buy the Digi top up credit while in JA in whatever amounts you think are appropriate.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

I think $$$$$$ Money is king. I'm sure they appreciate all the little gifts but I think they would like a few dollars a lot more.

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

When I'm in Cuba I repeat visit resorts, so I take some dove soap and perfume samples with me to leave with my my favorite staff along with $$ tip.

I do not gift like other people do in Cuba.

I just haven't been to Jamaica before, and was wondering if some nice soap and perfume samples would be okay to leave along with $$ tip.

Do the Jamaican people have access to good soap and perfume?

I only tip if I get good service.

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

I don't know what kind of soap people use and whether it's good or bad. There are all kinds of soaps and lotions here, local and foreign brands, so don't know that anyone is interested in receiving soap and lotions esp if they can purchase it at the haberdashery or perfume at the perfumerias.

Since It's school time definitely money.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 16:22
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

Banshee1, Jamaica does not face the same foreign policy issues that Cuba does therefore they have access to anything they can afford.

I agree that money is the most popular form of a "gift" and is greatly appreciated since the maids work very hard and do not make a lot of money, plus it doesn't take up much room is your luggage lol.

Don't get me wrong, a nice perfume or a lotion set along with a few dollars would be appreciated as well, and a digicel card is unique. I would leave a "special" gift such as a bath set etc. along with money if it makes you happy. Afterall, who doesn't like a nice unexpected gift now and then, but regular dove soaps etc. are not needed.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GBP - Gifts for Maids

You've asked a very good question. I'm new to the Jamaica forum and will be visiting Jamaica for the first time in January, but I know from the other forums I've frequented the general consensus is that cash is king even in countries like Cuba and the D.R. If you do decide to gift remember that you're not the only thoughtful traveller doing so. In my job I get about 30 or more small gifts a year and believe me, I have an ongoing supply of hand soaps, hand creams, tea, candles, chocolates, knick-knacks, jewellry, etc. Fortunately I'm not fussy about soaps and things because as it is I'm doing enough regifting to family and friends. I always make good use of the gift cards though.