We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel RB Questions

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Range...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jewel RB Questions

I've emailed Scott from JRB with some questions, but he is a busy man, and so I thought I'd reach out to folks that have been there recently.

This is my 3rd trip to the facility, first as a Jewel property.

Is the pizza oven up and running? Still shorts for guys in the Italian restaurant? Wireless internet? Some reviews have complained about the daily events not going off, your experiences? Someone said it had tamed down from when it was adults only, comments? A few have complained about the kids at the swim-up bar, your experience?

I'll be there January 22-29, if someone wants to buy me a beer. ;-) (Or saki, as you can see from my profile pic, I appear to be out)

Virginia
Level Contributor
879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel RB Questions

We were there in late June (so not that recent I guess) but having been to BRB several times before we were very impressed with what Jewel was doing to revive the resort. It is an awesome property, one of the best SuperClubs had IMO.

While we were not there after it went 'family' in November we found the swim up pool (infinity pool) quite active with games, music, fun things, and even some adult behavior (in a fun harmless way). But, this was before the change to family so I'm not sure how that has evolved since then.

The Italian restaurant was moving to dress shorts (not cutoffs or bathing suits) with a decent shirt by the time we left there. It was very nice and we ate there several nights.

Hopefully someone will come along and add some of the recent info you asked for (If I know Scott he will do so when he gets a chance!). I just thought I would let you know as a former BRB guest that the state of the resort is good and Jewel is bringing it back to where it should always have been before SC began to let it slide into terrible disrepair.

The fact is that if it was still adults only and if they had kept the cute little nude beach area I would go there every year. It's a great resort in a great location. While we are not always looking for a family resort we were impressed with Scott and the job he is doing there. I got a chance to meet him several times and we shared a couple of Hummingbirds one afternoon as we talked about the resort, it's past, and it's future. Given what I say there we will be back there perhaps as an adult couple even if it remains a family resort because of Scott, Jewel, and their committment to one of our favorite resort properties.

All the best!

Lansing, Iowa
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel RB Questions

We arive there on Tuesday! I will let you know. I know Scott did reply to me recently and said that the dress shorts policy was still good, which was good to hear as my husband and the other guy in our group hate wearing long pants on vacation.

From what I understand it's free internet at the internet stations there (in the lobby? can't remember where they are) but there's a charge for Wi-fi in the rooms. I think I saw it somewhere on the webpage, maybe on the FAQ section.

Must return to packing...leaving for Chicago in the morning! Don't think I'll be able to sleep:)

South Range...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel RB Questions

Iowapartygirl....Have a great time. Save some saki for me.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel RB Questions

From what I understand, as a temporary measure, the shalllow part of the infinity pool is being used as the kids pools. This is I believe until all of the kids sections have been built and are up and running. From what I understand dress shorts are still allowed for men in the italian restuarant. I know the pizza oven arrived but not sure if it's fired up yet. ( I really hope so!)

Like party girl I'll be there before you so I hope to report back.

11 sleeps till JRB.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel RB Questions

The Pizza restaurant has not been started yet. Most likely will be started in January.

Yes still dress shorts for Moonstone

free wireless in the lobby and internet cafe. there is a charge in the guest and meeting rooms.

Your other two questions are opinons. So I will leave those alone.

Scott from Jewel

South Range...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel RB Questions

Thanks, folks. Fair enough, Scott.

Virginia
Level Contributor
879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel RB Questions

Hiya Cocotel and Scott! Last time I saw you two I was warm and probably had a rum drink in my hand. :) Look forward to running across you both again.

Roy in VA

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel RB Questions

Hope to run into you and the family again also! Have a Happy New year!

Drew

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel RB Questions

That's Great Roy as long as you don't run into us with the new golf carts.

All the best for the New Year.

Scott

tempe arizona
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel RB Questions

Scott what are the charges for the internet in your room? The free wi-fi in the lobby but do you need your own computer in the lobby?