We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

We've just returned from our 2nd visit to Jewel Runaway Bay (7th to this property). I know many questions have just been asked and answered. I'd be more then happy to answer any others.

Still prepping my review but I can assure you that it will be 100% positive. Everyone has there own opinions but that is ours. After reading some of the recent feedbacks I have to laugh. If the GM himself or someone he has contact you offers to make things right, either except the offer or don't complain. I saw and heard this happen with my own eyes and ears then come back to read it. Laugh!!!

As for guests of the past ownership. Jewel did not just slap on a coat of paint. This property is back to looking like the one we knew and loved for so many years before SC let it run down. And there is still more to come! It will be in my review but i'll say it here. If you choose not to return to this beautiful resort now that Jewel has turned it around, you will be missing out on one of the best vacations ever!

Edited: 20 January 2013, 12:51
Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

I can't wait to read your review. I just booked this resort for 2 weeks at the end of August (and for my birthday!!!). Traveling with my mom, this will be our second trip to Jamaica. Haven't done the resort thing before, last time we were in Jamaica I rented a house. This property looks amazing and can't wait to see it.

One question, I know there are several restaurants, but is it possible to get authentic Jamaican cuisine?? That is one of the things mom and I enjoyed the most about our last trip - the amazing food!!!

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

The buffett offers many different (IMO) resort versions of Jamaican cuisine. That being said what they do have is very tasty. As well as all of the other food offered at the other restuarants at Jewel. There are still some changes to the current selection still to come also! I know I can't wait!

Enjoy!

Drew

Edited: 20 January 2013, 21:21
Boston,MA
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Happy to hear that things went well and look forward to reading your review. We are so excited to bring 40 friends and family down in March for our daughters wedding. How are the activities for the kids going and were there many kids there? I've gone to many resorts with kids and they didn't bother me but that was something that I'm going to find different this trip. How is the waterpark coming along?

Virginia
Level Contributor
919 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Hiya Drew! Glad to hear you had another positive experience at JRB. Given the vibe we got from the resort, the golf course, the staff, and management at JRB I'm not at all surprised that things have continued to improve. This property has so much to love about it, and Jewel has brought it back to how it was when we fell in love with the place. It has always had the best beach on the North Coast IMO and now the resort is getting back too. Just awesome!

We don't choose family resorts when we travel as an adult couple, so the change to a family resort will keep us from being there alot, but Scott and Jewel Runaway Bay have more than earned our repeat business so we will be back again at some point for sure!

All the best!

Roy in VA

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

I'm confused about the beef pattie situation: are they still available at the grill or are they available elsewhere or must one chase a chef down to have them specially made?

Some of my friends will be visiting Jewel RB in March and I look forward to hearing from them because we share the same perspective on what made that resort a fun place to vacation.

I look forward to reading your review Drew. :)

Lansing, Iowa
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

glad to hear you had another fantastic vacation there, we sure did.

Sunny- we asked a couple times, and then they were available on Saturday at the Coral Cafe

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Hey Drew! Glad to know you had a good time at our home away from home. I will be there March 21st and am looking forward to my return. My main concern is whether things have been watered down as far as entertainment since it is now a family resort? I like my adult time with the crazy adult games and hoping most are still there. I don't always participate but they have been fun to watch. I'm thinking of bringing my kids there xmas 2013. Hey Sunny.....how are you?

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Sunnymac, at one point the resort was at 50% ocup and i beleive there was 3 or 4 kids, at 80% about 12 kids. Not ones did I find them "getting under foot". Did i notice them? yes but they were not a problem.

There are many activities for kids like the game room, kids club, mini movie room, the new Red Ruby Ranch Laser tag area over near the golf course. The water park is still in the plans but I don't beleive contruction has begun yet.

Sunny22day, Patties are still available just not in the same way as in the past. They are part of the specials at the lunch buffett from time to time. If there is something like that you are craving and don't find don't be shy and ask. Scott and his crew will do whatever they can to make it happen. All you need to do is ask!

Hey Angie, The entertainment being "watered down" is kind of a matter of opinion. No, I did not see the "in your face" drinking games, the "show us what ya got" pool party, etc. For most part the entertainment is more family based but things like Toga party night are still in place at the disco. There are a bunch of great new faces on the entertainment crew also.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 02:00
wisconsin
Level Contributor
329 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Hi Cocotel

Good to hear you had a good time at JRB. We are going to be there in about a week and a half. Starting to get anxious to go now.

My question would be regarding the golf course. Did YOU golf at all while there? If so, how would you say the golf course is doing conditioning wise ? My wife and I both golf, so I am over there most day's.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Mijobo, unfortunatly I'm not a golfer. I was ON the course to have a look but I wouldn't know good from bad. It looks good though. I did hear a bunch of good feedback while there!