We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JRB for family vs Punta Cana

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
JRB for family vs Punta Cana

I was about to book an August vacation to Ocean Blue and Sand resort in Punta Cana, then my wife said she would like to go to Jamaica. We had been there many years ago as a couple and stayed at 2 Sandals-Montego Bay and Negril. Now we have a 19 yo son and 14 yo daughter. Can anyone discuss the differences and why they think this would be better then Punta Cana. The price was the same.

I also understand this was purchased recently by Jewel. Is the resort in good shape or are they upgrading or has that been completed. Also, how about the 1 hour ride from the airport? I do like the idea of Dunns River Falls...Thank you.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JRB for family vs Punta Cana

Never been to Punta Cana, and never will be. Jewel has renewed this property into the beautiful paradise it once was. You will love it.

The trip from the airport never seems like an hour+. Just seems to go by quick and it's part of our vacation seeing the sites.

Wherever you choose, Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JRB for family vs Punta Cana

Stayed in Punta Cana last year at the Bahia Principe and had a blast, I find the people to be very rude though especially since the previous year we went to Cuba and the people were phenomenal. However besides the people the beach was amazing, the food was average and there were plenty of families when we went in June 2012. However this year we have chosen Runaway Bay .... luckily I speak Spanish but I like that there is no language barrier in Jamaica and the food should be much better the Cuba and Dominican. We have low standards though. They also have plenty of fun things to do in both.. in Punta Cana we paid $99.00 and did an excursion which was half a day ziplining and the other half we rode quads through the jungle to a desserted beach and went swimming in a lagoon. In Jamaica we plan to do dunns river falls and the bob marley tour and possibly white water rafting.

Taylorville...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JRB for family vs Punta Cana

I have been to Punta Cana 9 times & also Jamaica probably as many. I have no problems with either. I have never ran into any rude employees on any trip. It depends on the price & who I travel with where I go. I am going to Jamaica in April, Mexico in June & hopefully Punta Cana in July or August.

4. Re: JRB for family vs Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:17