We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

I have a couple of really nice cameras, a little expensive, and I wouldn't want to ruin them in the waters of Jamaica. My plan was to take a smaller camera with me on the tours, something I could keep in a good plastic bag and only take out when needed. Sounds like work though!! Can anyone tell me if you can buy a disposable, cheap waterproof camera for the purpose I want it for. I mean there is no way I'm going to Dunn's River and not get some pics. Or to any other tour destination involving water. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Just thought about it this morning and haven't had time to research it before work. So TRIP ADVISOR is the place to go. Thanks everyone, any help is appreciated.

United States
Level Contributor
10,989 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

"Can anyone tell me if you can buy a disposable, cheap waterproof camera for the purpose I want it for."

Yes, but you should buy it at home, in Newfoundland, as it will be more expensive in Jamaica.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

Mac, I was just like you my first trip to Ja. Tried all kinds of waterproof cases for my expensive digital cameras and they were such a pain to use. Finally I said, most of our vacations centered around water so I went lookng for a good, fairly priced waterproof camera.

Yes you will be able to purchase a disposable water camera but as Vinnie said they will be expensive. You can probably find a good used divers camera on sites like ebay. The one that I have, and love is a SeaLife.

Enjoy.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

You can also find good digital cameras that are waterproof. I have a fujifilm waterproof digital camera that I use for snorkeling and places just like Dunn's River.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

When you go to the falls the guides put all your stuff/including cameras in a water proof bag. They stop along the way so you can take it out and take pictures/videos. If anything/I would but a waterproof bag instead of a new camera since you have a few!

PEACE!

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

I have a fujifilm waterproof digital camera also ---works great and not that expensive. I would not risk any of my other cameras even in a waterproof bag.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

Hi Mac,

I was thinking the same thing I actually invested in a 300 dollar nikon waterproof camera but bestbuy and future shop have really good ones for under $200.00 they also give discounts if you recycle your old camera (not sure if you use them all) .. :) sale ends thursday.

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

Thanks guys for all the information. I kinda like the idea of bringing my own waterproof (small) bag. Makes sense and then you don't depend on the guide to carry your things! Any suggestions on a good, small waterproof bag I can just throw over my shoulder so it won't be in my way.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

We are going to Jamaica in sept. and I also wanted a way to get better pictures than you get with a disposable waterproof camera, without spending a couple hundred dollars for a digital waterproof camera. After reading lots of reviews, I ordered a DicaPAC waterproof case on Amazon for $20. That way I will also be able to take pictures under the water if we go snorkleing or in the pool etc. It got really good reviews and the pictures people posted on Amazon that they had taken with it looked good. Just make sure you get the one made for your camera model, there is a chart on DicaPAc's website.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

I don't trust any of the boxes for your cameras. If things aren't done properly, you run the risk of ruining your camera. If you'r going to get a box, get one from a dive shop.

You can pick up a fujifilm XP50 or other digital waterproof camera on ebay, brand new for right around $100. I prefer to do this. That way, if something happens to that camera, all I'm out is the camera and those pictures. I still have my other camera and the rest of the pictures from the trip. Would hate to lose everything because the camera got wet.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking Cameras to Dunn's River and on other water tours.!

If you have a Canadian Tire near you, they sell waterproof bags in the Outdoor sports dept.