We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

leicestershire
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
currency

is it best to take GB sterling and exchange in Jamaica ,or take some Jamaican dollars and US dollars as well as GB pounds , i will be travelling to the royal decameron in runaway bay at the end of june,

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

USD is most commonly used.

United States
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

First question to ask is will I be spending any money while I am in Jamaica? On my last trip I stayed at a different AI and spent less than $US20 for the week. Will you spend more or less on your holiday?

Second, where will you spend your money while you are in Jamaica? See the table at the bottom to the first reference above.

"or take some Jamaican dollars"

This is a bad idea.

"and US dollars"

May be a good Idea if you will be spending US dollars while in Jamaica.

"as well as GB pounds"

Good idea if you plan to spend mainly Jamaican dollars. If you have any Scottish pound notes leave them at home or exchange them in the UK for GBP notes before you leave.

leicestershire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

Thankyou for the info, i think i will take mainly GB sterling and exchange in Jamaica as the rates will be more favourable, but will take a few dollars too for tipping ..CHEERS

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

If you can manage it, I recommend you get USD bills in small denominations for tipping and first day expenses (such as a red stripe at the airport). I suggest 20xUS$1s, 10xUS$5s and 5xUS$10s.

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

Like I told someone else on this forum, keep your life simple and use US dollars. It is welcomed everywhere.

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

Don't bother exchanging to US JA dollars simple and easy to use we never bother with US. It maybe simple for Canadian or American but pointless to exchange into US for UK.

7. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay
Recent Conversations