We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

We love the reviews and everything we are hearing about JRB and can't wait until our arrival in late February. I have some questions that I hope can be answered in detail if possible.

Food:

Candlelight dinner under the stars 1 night a week- is this included? Is it worth doing vs the other ala carte options?

Managers Dinner- is this a buffet? Also is this worth doing?

Not a fan of buffets for dinner but is there a seafood night or any theme that is better than other nights?

Entertainment:

Does the house band play every night? What type of music?

How often do other outside bands play at the resort?

Sing along bar- sounds like a good place to sit outside and meet with others, do people actually get involved or is it more of a kick back and listen atmosphere?

Pools:

The infinity pool looks like the best/main pool and we love to hang out at the swim up bar but concerned about kids using this as their main pool without the water park opening in the near future. Do kids use the swim up bar pool more than the others? Is it an issue?

Rooms:

Booked a standard room and my only concern is the view. I know we will not have an ocean view or maybe even pool view but was hoping for some type of nice view at night with nice lighting, not just a view of dark jungle. Any recommendation on buildings or room

numbers (odd even) to achieve this in a standard room?

One item of note. Everything I research about this resort sounds great except one re-occurring complaint "towels". For all that Scott and the resort seem to be doing the right way why is this simple issue so difficult to resolve? I know it may cost a little bit of money but in the big scope of things I would think this should be resolved by now???

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

The swim up bar is deeper (4') than the kiddie pool (2') but they are attached, so there are kids there. Also this pool gets used for water aerobics.

Towels are easy. Grab two fresh at the end of the day and take them back to your room for the next morning. If you can't get fresh then hang them up on the rack on your balcony to dry.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

On thursday night at 6:00 we have a manager's cocktail party in which you meet the managers of the resort with rum punch and hors d'oeuvres and giveaways.

After that at 7:00 there is a 6 course meal around the pool deck with a show "under the stars"

Monday night is a Jamaican Beach party on the beach.

House band is on 5 nights a week, Sunday is steel pan orchestra and something else the other night. All kinds of music.

two nights but there is a change sometimes with singers.

Sing a long and Kareoke usually gets a lot of people involved but we don't consider them an outside band.

There are three pools The main pool is the largest in the middle of the resort close to the beach bar. the romance pool is the smaller one by the suites and the infinity pool is midsize but the shallowist thus the kids tend to gravitate towards it. the swimup bar is also at that pool. Water part will come on late this year. Depending upon the person will determine if it is an issue. I can have two people eating the same pizza and one will hate it and the other love it.

I had three dryers down I know not anyones problem buy mine. the dryers are working we bought more towels. We have them. We also had 800 people a day here who are writing about it so it will continue until new people come and write other things that we did to annoy them or not.

i didn't answer about the rooms because you asked for an opinion and I only do facts.

let me know if you have any other questions

Scott from JRB

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Boy, this guy Scott sure knows a lot about the resort. LOL. Gona contact you soon my friend. Getting cold here and need something warm to look forward to.

I'll give you my opinion of the standard room category.

The standard room category is just that. A standard room. The view is kinda luck of the draw. You may be looking at the west side fence and perimeter, or you may get lucky and get a nicer garden view. More than likely you will not see and water. Pool or ocean. But highly unlikely you will see a jungle either. The one thing you are very likely to do is sleep, dress, wash up, rest, change, shower, humdee dumdum (before or after shower) hehehe, and sleep, repeat. And be more than comfortable doing so.

As for towels like Richard said, either get a few fresh in the afternoon or hang to dry at night and get fresh ones once available.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Cocotel251

Drew

Edited: 08 January 2014, 00:55
Michigan USA
Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Scott thank you for your detailed replies, one of the reasons I chose JRB.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Thanks Cocotel for the room info. I'm not big on needing a special fancy room, just was hoping for a decent view to wind down the night.

Also sounds like most rooms will be getting new furniture this month.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Im in block 3 facing the French, but there's lights out there and it's perfect to just chill and listen yo the insects also a hammock just outside so it's all good.

Been here 2 weeks and have experienced no towel issues - a couple of times have gone to get some to find they had none so went to breakfast by the time I was done they was fully stocked up again.

With regards to kids bring in the infinity pool I would think late February there shouldn't be that many kids as they should be set school - there's no many here at the moment so the infinity pool is virtually child free, but to be fair the kids like the middle of the pool as there is a fountain so there's plenty of room for everyone.

Aylmer, QC
Level Contributor
126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

I just wanted to comment about " late February there shouldn't be that many kids as they should be at school" . In my area ,the first two weeks of March are spring break for elementary & high schools. So just a head's up that there may be MANY children during that period. We will be arriving for a week with our 2 at the end of February and they love both the pool and the beach. We picked JRB because it's family friendly and we teach our kids to respect everyone, everywhere.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Is it common in Canada to have a 2 week break late Feb/March? From our experience not many kids at the resorts the last week of February, presidents week is over by then. We have kids or our own that we took on trips for years but just concerned that the pool by the swim up bar seems to be where kids hang out here???

Aylmer, QC
Level Contributor
126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

Hi dmac, it's only a one week break, however, the region where I live (Quebec) the break is the 1st week of March. Families will be travelling from the wednesday prior depending on best flight/prices etc... The region where I work the break Ontario) is the second week of March...Same thing, people trying to get the best flights etc. Our universities break around the 15th of February. Some of my friends with children that attend all three will travel during the University break so as not to disrupt the older child's stricter schedule.

I think the bottom line is if you are going to be annoyed by the presence of children in the pool on your holiday, perhaps an Adult Only is a better choice.

I know that this is a sensitive subject for some, but the reality is that the bars, whether swim-up or not, is the only place for the kids to get their drinks whether self-serve or otherwise. I understand that many guest like to lounge and spend alot of time there and you may not wish to get the odd splash in your rum punch but you're in a pool...the likelyhood is high whether the splash comes from a child or not.

Happy Travels!

Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel Runaway Bay Questions

My son is on break from school for the Mardi Gras holidays. We will be their the first week of March!