We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dover kent uk
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Currency exchange

Hi everyone we are arriving RDCC on March 6th can anyone tell us can you exchange sterling GBP at the hotel or is it best to take US dollars.

Many thanks

SHAUN & GUDI

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
870 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange

Most postings say to stick with US Dollars. I have never exchanged money in Jamaica, every place I have visited was more than happy to take my US money, same with tips at the hotel.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange

It is advised to arrive into MoBay Sangster Intl airport with some US$s in US$1s (maybe 15 of them) and US$5s (maybe 10 of them) for arrival tips (mandatory at the airport) and taxi fares.

The RDCC website says that they provide currency exchange. Without direct knowledge, most resorts will convert Sterling into JA$.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange

i've never seen a mandatory tip at mobay airport .I do tip the baggage handlerd and the transfer drivers but I've seen many who don't.I would bring us dollars we have only did money exchange at a hilo grocery store in mobay that didnt except foreign currencies,they had a money exchange area in the front of the store that were paying less than the actual rates at the banks in ja.All the stores like us dollars.

United States
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange

"is it best to take US dollars"

If you are the typical tourist staying at an all inclusive resort, take a mixture of U.S. dollars and sterling. Convert into U.S. dollars in the UK before you get on the plane.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange

On advice from friends - wer'e taking a mix of US dollars and Jamaican Dollars.

dover kent uk
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange

ok many thanks for advice have got some Jamaican the rest we will take in us.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange

I take a little cash with me usually whatever i have left over from previous tips - which is enough for tipping for the day i arrive after that, i use the cashpoint - there is one by the shops just outside RDCC by the shops. You can get either US or JA from this machine. I do things this way for a couple of reasons. Teh main reason being you get a better rate on JA money - I only spend what i need and dont go home with loads of money thats useless until i return. This way im not carrying or leaving around money. depending on who you bank with yes you will be charged but its only a tiny amount. i bank with natwest and its about £2.00 for £150 which is fine. I generally use JA money for the simple reason of conversion, A lot of places shops, supermarkets etc if you pay in US you get change in JA now i can work out simple conversions but to stand on the spot and work out UK to US and change in JA hell no im on holiday and that would blow my brain - but if a price is in JA and i pay in JA i know what change im getting.

Hope that makes sens, im typing this on my phone so screen not that big so im hoping my spelling and punctuation is not to shocking.

8. Re: Currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 06:19