We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

I'm tying to decide between the Jewel Runaway Bay and Jewel Paradise Cove. I'll be in Jamaica with my two grown up children (18 and 24) in June. Anyone has advice on which of the two resorts is better? On trip advisor, the Jewel Runaway Bay has over 3000 reviews versus a little over 300 for the Paradise Cove (but the paradise Cove is rated #1 in Runaway bay).

I don't need top notch luxury resort. My priorities are great food and beach, nice room; proximity of excursion (it seems great that Paradise Cove have excursion included although they don't mention it online!). I would prefer adult only but it's not a must. It is a vacation to spend quality family time. Apparently, all Jewel provide free transportation from the airport but I havent seen that online (I've seen it only for the Runaway Bay). The Paradise Cove has free internet but is this a big expense otherwise? Anyway, options, options.... do you have any suggestions?

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

I think your biggest difference is Runaway Bay is for familys and the Cove is adults only! My family is trying Runaway Bay next month, my wife and I went to the Jewel Dunns River and loved it (another adults only).

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Either Jewel would be acceptable and just know that Jewel Runaway Bay is a family resort and JPC is adults only for which your kids qualify as adults.

JPC has a huge list of inclusions that are not part of the JRB list of inclusions. All motorized watersports is included such as the snorkel excursion and even the scuba resort course is included allowing you to dive to 30 feet every day. Also add waterskiing. There are two beaches at JPC, but neither are very long. JRB has a very long public beach directly adjacent to the right side (looking at the Sea) of the resort.

JPC has undergone the most recent renovations top to bottom. Most importantly, all rooms now have balconies/patios. Buildings 6, 7, 8, 9 have rooms which directly face the Sea. When the resort was under SuperClubs management, I stayed in building 9 (closest to watersports) on the third floor and the view was a million dollar one. JPC has a very long water slide. Has a disco and piano bar.

My vote is for JPC.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

France,

as a note in June JRB will have free Wifi as well. We also just completed with all new furniture in all the rooms. As everyone says the biggest difference is adults only JPC to all ages JRB so there is a variance of ages at JRB as well as bed types two double beds in rooms and kings. JPC also has Kings and some rooms with two twin beds.

I am sure that your family will be happy either way and thanks for thinking of the Jewel

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Rasbrat - when will the waterslides be complete at JRB? Did I read on another thread you are hoping december?

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Both Jewels are excellent!!! After over 10 times at JRB we went this year to JPC and loved it. We like the adults only part so you need to decide which would be better for your kids. You will love either one because the Jewel does such a fantastic job.

Ontario
Level Contributor
343 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

We were at Jewel Runaway Bay last April and Jewel Paradise Cove, April 2014. You can't go wrong with either choice. We did not find the kids at Runaway Bay a problem (in fact we hardly saw them, but that was April). The biggest difference would be the beach. Runaway Bay has a much longer and nicer beach if you like to walk the beach. Paradise Cove beach is nice, with plenty of chairs, but quite small. Paradise Cove has some fun activities included that you and your family can enjoy - snorkeling, sunset cruise, Dunn River Falls, shopping tour, hobbie cat, and other non-motorized activities, etc. The night life may be lacking for the young adults, but that's the case at both resorts. Paradise Cove just opened last November, and that would be the reason for the fewer reviews. The two resorts are only about 5-10 mins apart, so any excursions would be the same distance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Thanks everyone! I booked at the Jewel Paradise Cove. I can't wait!

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Great choice France,

Ask concierge to get you a site to JRB and check us out while you are there. It is only 90 seconds away.

Scott from JRB

Trelawny, Jamaica
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

this is a great property, remember when it was hedo3 lol

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel Runaway bay or Jewel Paradise Cove

Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions on this subject as well. Our family (my husband and I, my sister, her husband and her 2 adult childern) statyed at JRB twice for New Years when the property was run by Breezes. We loved our vacations there and are seriously considering returning agin this NY's. However a few things have changed. My neice is in a committed relationship so she would be bringing her boyfriend but my nephew has recently broken up with his girlfriend and may want to bring a guy friend. The rooms with the 2 queen size beds would be perfect for them. Would they (we) be able to stay at either resort or would we need stay at JRB? We kind of like the adult only resorts - but we loved JRB.

Also my brother in law loved the golf at JRB. If we stay at JPC would he be able to go over to JRB to play golf? Would there be a fee to get over to JRB or to play golf?

My husband and I are avid divers and are really happy JPC includes diving. If we stayed at JRB could we dive with the JPC group? Would there be an additional fee?

One last question. We all like to snorkle and I know there is a small reef right off the beach at JRB. If we stayed at JRB could be do the boat snorkle trip offered at JPC? Would there be an additional fee to this?

I'm looking forward to the possibility of returning to JRB or trying out JPC. We met Barbra Britton when she was at BRB and would love to see her again. She is a lovely lady.

Scott, were you with Breezes before it became the Jewel? We met so may great people and would love to see them again if they are still there.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

KK