We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fdr resort?

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
fdr resort?

Which one of the FDR resorts would you all recomend? Are they that much different? Also, what about Starfish Trelawny? Thanks in advance!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fdr resort?

I have stayed at FDR and Starfish. FDR about a year ago and Starfish last week. I loved FDR and Starfish was OK. FDR is much smaller than Starfish. The nanny's at FDR are wonderful for younger children (10 and under). FDR is more personal, tropically quaint, and I felt the food was much better. The rooms at FDR are a lot larger. Starfish is a larger facility with more pools and a better beach (way better than FDR). FDR provides a free trip to Dunns River, shopping in Ocho Rios and a nice family picnic off the grounds. Both need some renovation and are currently doing such. They both have pros and cons and I did prefer FDR based on what our families expectations were. Do you have any specific questions?

Terri

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
847 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fdr resort?

I have never been to Starfish. My family does go to FDR, though. We love it! In my opinion, there is nothing better for families.

How old are your kids?

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: fdr resort?

My children are 5 yrs old and 18 months old. I am leaning towards the FDR resort--but there are two. Which one should I choose? The nanny option sounds wonderful!! We went to Beaches Negril last year so I like the fact that FDR has the vacation nanny. How is the food at the FDR's? It doesn't seem like there are many rest. I did not know about the free excursions--that's great. I would love to see Dunn's River. Thanks so much for your responses!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fdr resort?

I took a peek at Pebbles last week and was told that it has more to do than FDR for the older kids like an overnight camping trip. I personally liked the appearance of FDR better than Pebbles. Our family thought the food at FDR was better than normal for an all-inclusive. They have a wonderful "adults only" restaurant that you can go to while your nanny watches the kids. (There is an extra nanny charge after around 5:00pm of $5 per hour but they are included during the daytime hours). They hold a barbeque on the beach one night and it is awesome. They convert the whole beach into a restaurant with table and chairs. Then, they have a local show which was very fun. My son liked the kids "restaurant" which is just an area next to the restaurant with serving tables at the kids height with kids food. He was especially delighted with the fruit smoothie that they brought him every morning for breakfast. The beach grill had great jerk chicken that was not too spicey hot and very good.

Terri

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fdr resort?

Have been to both resorts over the past year ( F.D.R. & Pebbles). It really is a tough decision as to which resort we prefer.

-Staff are amazing at both and keep kids and adults involved and entertained from the moment of arrival. We have teenage boys ( 13 & 15) and didn't use the nanny service.

-We found FDR's more impressive for room size, food quality and general presentation.(But you do pay a little more to stay at FDR)

-A big plus for Pebbles is the nicer beach. Most of the rooms actually rest right over the white sand . You can also walk for quite a while east and west of the resort. ( Make sure to walk the beach past the "Time and Place"Hotel.)

-When staying at FDR's Guests may use the beach next door at Breezes which is also nice..

- Both are small resorts and therefore easy to meet other guests.

Have a great trip.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
847 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fdr resort?

We really enjoy the food at FDR. With kids 18 months and 5 you coould not go wrong with FDR. I even took my youngest when he was 4 weeks old. It is THAT great!!!

MASS.
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: fdr resort?

have not been to pebbles but have been to FDR runaway bay 6 years in a row!

Had to skip this year - but will be back next. It really is our home away from home.

pictures of the resort (a little outdated)

fdrfriends.home.comcast.net