We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety??

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Safety??

Hi all

Traveling to runaway bay for two weeks in July.

Everyone I tell I am going to jamaica either rolls their eyes has a shocked look on their face and asks if it's safe or tells me I can't leave the compound I staying in,I'm not staying in acompound I'm staying at the GBP.

I have visions of the film world war Z where the zombies are trying to get at you through the railing of the fence round the compound!!! Only joking lol

So is it safe to leave the hotel and travel and do excursions?

Thanks

jonnyboy

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety??

Can only reiterate what Kall and the others have said. Every country, town etc has it's rough parts and there are areas in the UK that I wouldn't walk around alone! Just use your common sense. Tours organised by your travel agent could work out very expensive, with their commission included, that's why they say it's safer. Chukka Tours do some really good 'activity' excursions which you can book direct with them and they'll arrange for a driver to pick you up. Enjoy your stay :)

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety??

Jamaica is the same as any other country be vigilent. The people are good but they will have there odd person who is not I have been going or years I have friends there now that I go visit in st annes parish and I am up in the hill in their homes and we have never had any problems from anyone

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
La Porte City, Iowa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety??

We have been going for 7 years and use Paul Williams and we go into what I call the real Jamaica. We have visited a school in Brownstown 3 times with Paul and take school supplies. We have been to the markets and we have even visited a bar in Brownstown. 2 years ago Paul hooked me up with a guy and went on a fishing trip, then when we returned we were invited to come to the guys restaurant for dinner. They came and picked us up and brought us back very safe that night. Do have fun, but as everyone has said be careful and mindful of your surroundings.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
14. Re: Safety??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16