We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

braco village

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kenmore, New York
6 posts
Save Topic
braco village

what became of the braco village all inclusive in runaway bay

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: braco village

Braco (formally Breezes Rio Bueno and before that, Grand Lido Braco) is owned by the National Insurance Fund, the state-run agency responsible for investing pension receipts and operating the now J$62 billion fund from which government retirees are paid their pensions, is sole owner of the Rio Bueno property in Trelawny, as well as other resorts

The fund acquired Rio Bueno, formerly known as Grand Lido Braco Resorts and Spa, in the year 2000 for US$23 million after the previous owners racked up almost US$40 million in debt. The deal included both the resort hotel and 48 acres of adjoining real estate.

The hotel continued to operate at the time of the sale under operating lease held by SuperClubs as a Breezes. Rental was set, at the time of sale, at US$200,000, or J$9 million, a month for the Braco property.

On April 30, 2011 SuperClubs gave up the lease to the property, stating that its efforts to negotiate a mutually satisfactory lease arrangement with NIF had failed.

In February 2012, the hotel, still owned by the NIF, began operating as Braco Beach Resort & Spa under short-term lease to Blue Diamond, the hotel-operating arm of Sun Wing of Canada valid to the end of May 2012, but the short term lease continued with no explanation as to the terms of the extension.

In May 2013, Spanish hotel chain Melia was given the nod by the National Investment Fund (NIF) to operate the Braco Hotel on a long-term basis in the form of a long term operational management contract. Melia planned to take over the resort after the Blue Diamond Hotel Group, which has been operating the hotel since late 2011, makes its exit at the end of May 2013. The Melia contract will run 10 years with options for extension.

The hotel was expected close at the end of May 2013 when the lease of current operators comes to an end, allowing for the upgrades to the property. NIF planned to undertake the repairs before Melia takes possession for a reported cost of JA$1.5 Billion

The property was expected to reopen in time for the next winter tourist season, which kicks off on December 15 2013.

Having said that, the Melia contract was still under negotiations in August 2013 which is also when the NIF said that Melia would now take operational control in "early 2014."

Having said that, as is not unexpected in Jamaica, the reopening is now targeted for November 2014 to be known as Melia Jamaica, an all inclusive.

So, to answer the short question with a long answer, the final answer is even shorter:

Melia Jamaica (aka Braco) is still closed with a Nov 2104 reopening target.

Still not holding my breath.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 21:52
St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: braco village

Thanks for that 'brief' summary, HDM. I remember driving thru this resort to drop off passengers on the way to Breezes Runaway Bay. It looked like nice enough to warrant further investigation. We also met people at BRB in '11 (after Rio Bueno was closed) that loved it. They couldn't say enough good things about it. It will be interesting to see how it does as Melia Jamaica, whenever that will be. I wonder if Melia Jamaica will reopen the golf course that was part of the Breezes Rio Bueno resort.

Virginia
Level Contributor
882 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: braco village

The 'golf course' was never all that great, even when GLB was in it's best form. We loved that resort and vacationed there many times. After playing golf there once I didn't bother anymore. It's par 3 course essentially, well actually the last resort there used it mainly as a jogging/hiking trail and didn't even call it a golf course. I would love to see that place brought back up to speed with some good renovations, but I will be surprised if anyone tries to revive the golf course.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: braco village

Definitely miss Grand Lido Braco of yore! It was one of our favorite resorts on the island and we enjoyed each and every one of our stays and I can still taste those succuent lamb chops and hear Jerome's laugh.... one of the best au naturel areas, so let's hope someone can revive it.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: braco village

Well, it's December 12th & I have searched the internet to see if it's opened, I found nothing. Anyone any further news?

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: braco village

Just pass by last week and it looks vacant. Like an over grown piece of land.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: braco village

Thanks for that update Cocote. I just delved a little further and a travel news industry sight is quoting "Melia Jamaica to open in 2016"!!! - If you research Melia Hotel Group there has been nothing from them since esrly 2013 announcing they were going to open Nov 2014. Sounds like their deal may have gone South?

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
128 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: braco village

According to the Gleaner (jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/…business4.html) they are planning a June 2015 opening.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: braco village

Very interesting and well written article by the Gleaner writer, I thought.

Keep in mind that Melia is not doing the repair of Braco; rather, it is Braco's owner, the National Investment Fund (a Government agency), that is managing the repair project. As pointed out in the Gleaner story, there is a legal suit brought about by a bidder for the repair who had the lowest price by was not selected. Braco was to reopen during November 2014 but repair was proceeding behind schedule and that was before the current suit was filed.

I think a June opening is wishful thinking; just keep the recent Hyatt "opening" in mind.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: braco village

How can it be already be 90% booked for the opening in June if the opening date is not nailed down? I looked at various travel websites & cant find it even advertised.