We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Mile questions

Almunecar, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
9 Mile questions

We are thinking of a quick trip to Bob Marley's birthplace at 9 Mile. Has anyone been recently? Is it better to book a tour or hire a taxi? I was thinking the latter because the tour prices we saw seemed a bit steep for a place that isn't really that far away from Runaway Bay. A taxi might also be more flexible when it comes to photo ops because I have heard that the ride up offers some spectacular scenery. Also, I have heard that there are a lot of children hanging around. I have read other threads on donating school supplies and wondered if it would be better to donate to a school either there or along the route rather than one close to the hotels which can count on a steady supply of donations from tourists. Opinions?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Mile questions

It may not look far from Runaway Bay, but its about 1.5 - 2 hours.

My advice would be to hire a driver, this way you can decide what time you want to go, when you want to come back - stop en route as many times as you like for photo's drinks food etc.

You will find lots of advice on which drivers to use etc on the board.

Ive always used Moodie Transportation - have been using him for 10 years.

can be contacted on 00187 404 6396

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Mile questions

Kei P,

The phone number kall mentions is what you would dial from the UK; from the US, do not dial the tow leading zeros.

Jamaica is part of the North American dialing system so all you need is the "1" and the area code.

Further, I think the kall left out a digit, I think the number from the UK should be 001 876 404 6396 and from the US it should be 1 876 404 6396. The "country code/area code" for Jamaica is 876.

Pas vrai?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Mile questions

There is no such event called a "quick trip" to 9-mile. Drive time is longer than a map suggests as the roads are not, well, roads. Closer to trails. Then there is the time you spend there.

I would budget more than a half day; but, that may be a quick trip for you.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Mile questions

Thanks Hedo, was doing this off my phone while in a meeting at work. Thanks for the corrections :)

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Mile questions

agree with private driver who can stop along the way! It is a beautiful drive.

there are many children outside; if you have things you are going to give out then give them directly to the children.Donations to a school and church are great but those children will appreciate something given directly to them..Save Jamaican coins as well to give them. anything is much appreciated! Dollar store finds are great!

PEACE!

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Mile questions

How much did u pay for the trip?

7. Re: 9 Mile questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 13:35
Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Mile questions

Private is the way to go for sure. That way you can do what you want, when you want. I would suggest stopping in Brownstown on your way up or back. It is a really neat town with lots of history. The town has market day on Wednesday and Saturday, I think it is. Really worth seeing how people still shop.

You are right about the school supplies, schools closest to the resort seem to get more donations. There are other schools you will pass on your way to Nine Mile. There is a basic school in Brownstown that could always use supplies but I think giving directly to the children at Nine Mile would be a nice gesture as well. Personally I wouldn't give them money as that might promote begging from the children. Remember too that Jamaicans are proud people. When I've given out supplies in public I ask if they know anyone that could use the supplies or ask if they could use them.

Paul Williams is another great driver. He actually lives in Brownstown and is very familiar with the basic school there. You can email him at paul849@hotmail.com or call him at 876-381-7881. He, like Moodie, will stay with you during your trip and are quite open to stopping along the way.

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Mile questions

The views along the way to nine mile are fantastic and going with a private driver means you can stop when you want and how often you like. Sometimes taking in views people on the tour bus would not see. I also use Moodie and he will suggest other places to stop off at on route.

Giving supplies to children is a great idea and the expressions on their faces and gratitude is priceless.. You could give to a school or church congregation, also spend some time at one if the opportunity arrises.

Browns Town as suggested is a great Jamaican style market town and you can pick up some nice bits. The pattie shop used to be one of the best. Your driver will know of the best ones to go to.

10. Re: 9 Mile questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:16