We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me find a resort

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kentucky
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help me find a resort

We are going to Jamaica in late January or early February and we are looking for a nice all inclusive and have a few basic requirements: swim up bar, really nice beach, good food, and snorkeling from the shore. I thought I had it pegged at JRB but I am concerned about the water park and kids. I don't dislike kids but I do want to relax and don't want to hear screaming and whining all week. Most kids in the USA will be in school but I am not sure about other countries. I looked at GBP but love a smaller resort 200-400 rooms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me find a resort

Did you check out JPCove? It's adult only & sometimes on Groupon so keep an eye out. I have friends that love GBP but it is way to huge for us too:)

kentucky
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me find a resort

Yes, and I love the all adult theme but there is not much in the way of snorkeling off the beach which is one of my must haves. I don't have to see a great variety of fish but I like to get in the water several times a day and look around. I don't want to have to get in a boat and pay someone to take me out. That's what I did like about JRB.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me find a resort

Friends love the snorkeling at GBP but it also has kids so out of the 2 I would go with the smaller JRB. GBP at least has an adults only area but it's a nude beach. Lol we pick adults only for the same reasons:)

Southern Ontario...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me find a resort

Look into a Couples resort. There are 4 in Jamaica, I am not sure which ones are around Runaway Bay. We did Couples Negril, adult only, amazing calm beach, free snorkelling trips and catamaran, kayaks with glass bottom and even free scuba diving trips. Pricey but no tipping is allowed which saves a couple hundred anyway. You Only tip drivers. Resort was not fancy, but comfortable and fairly casual. We loved it. Did I mention no kids!

Eden, New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me find a resort

Check out Luxury Grand Bahia, we are also going without kids and decided on this resort!!

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me find a resort

IMO, if beach and great snorkeling just off shore is what you are looking for than stick with JRB. We have been there 4 time since they open (heading back again in Nov) and kids have never been a bother AND we go in June/July when US kids are on break. Once the water park opens I would think most if not all will be there most of the day. Leaving the whole rest of the resort to us adults.

Yes, JPC is adult only and very very nice, but again IMO falls short if you are a true beach person.

Stay with your original choice and come back to thank me later. You will love JRB!!!!!!

Enjoy

Cocotel

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me find a resort

Ditto Cocotels comments. Have been used to staying at an AO resort for the past 10yrs. Tried JRB last xmas, have been back twice since and re-booked another 2 trips. TBH the children really weren't an issue. Those who were there were really well behaved and spent most of their time with the entertainment crew during the day. As Cocotel said, once the waterpark is open I'm sure they will spend more time there. For me I really dislike Negril as an area. Hope you enjoy your stay wherever you choose.

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me find a resort

We stayed a JRB this past mid to late January for 2 weeks. Kids were never a problem. Small number of kids . We travel as a couple. Love the beach and snorkeling. We've stayed at the bigger all inclusives in Jamaica, but like JRB much better. Size is perfect and staff sooo much better. We've headed back this January and can't wait. If you have more questions ask away.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
24 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me find a resort

I don't recall there being any snorkeling from the shore at JRB. Cost $20 for the 2-3 minute boat ride.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me find a resort

Camden, you have got to be kidding me. Half of the swimming area is a natural reef with tons of colorful fish. You can snorkel out in waist deep water right off shore. You can borrow snorkel gear from the dive shop at no cost or bring your own. They do offer a pay as you go snorkel trip but there is plenty to see right off shore.

Wait, wait, wait, Scott, did you relocate the reef again? Hehehe

Edited: 01 August 2014, 02:53