We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP- We haven't given up.

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
raleigh
8 posts
Save Topic
GBP- We haven't given up.

We have vacationed in Jamaica for many years and have stayed in the Runaway Bay area 8 times. We are booked for 2 weeks at the GBP, Jan 2 - 16, and after reading all the negative reviews, we still intend to be there. For us the very real problems reported, don't go to the true heart of the overall Jamaica experience and the reduced price that we paid with CheapCaribbean was not "a 5 star" price, but rather more like "a 3 star" price and a bargain at that. In any case if you really do need top level pampering, then certainly do go ahead and make other arrangements, but if you're able to take on a bit of the the island, "not to worry, mon" mindset then come and have a drink and a laugh or two with us. I'll be the bearded guy with the shaved head, enjoying my favorite island. Peace and love, to you all.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

Good for you! I hope you enjoy.

If you want to go off property and get some GREAT eats....check out www.babashak.com Enjoy!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

Great spirit. I hope it works out for you. Personally, I think even 3-star resorts should have A/C. That would be my biggest concern.

raleigh
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

You do make a good point. My belief is that the "first day" reports are the low point and include some poblems that will be corrected fairly rapidly. I do know from my time in the area, that the majority of the staff are trying very hard to do a good job.

Mass.
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

I am also going to keep my reservation at GBP for Jan 4th and do think that some if not most will be worked out. To me as long as the drinks keep flowing and there is a lounge chair for me to sit in and the suns out I think I will be fin. See you all there

HotRod

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

I am not as young or carefree, I am bailing.

However,

I wish you who are going much luck. Have a great time, get some vouchers for future trips. This is the least they can do for those who are braving poor conditions.

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

runaway, hotrod

I think you're a little crazy for going but I wish you the best (I'm smiling when I say that). I agree that the staff is probably doing everything that they know to do but that's not the problem. Leaving people in the waiting room for 8 hours is all about the management team. That's not going to change in a few days. From what I'm reading I would'nt even give them a 1 star. I'm still waiting for a review like: " had an awsome omelette and the coffee was deliciuos. Fruit was freash and I had a glorious shower this morning. Looks like a great day"

7. Re: GBP- We haven't given up.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 10:19