We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

I am planning a trip to Jamaica with my family and my in-laws. During our stay we want to go to Starlight Chalet near Junction for a couple of days. But my Father-in-law has a history of health problems including strokes and heart problems. His health has been good lately, but just in case, we want to know if there are any hospitals or medical facilities nearby in case an emergency arises. If you do know of any it would be really helpful if you could provide the name and/or the location and distance it is from Starlight Chalet.

Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
6 replies to this topic
kingston
Level Contributor
639 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

The Starlight Chalet I am thinking of is near Irish Town,if thats the one, the nearest hospitals would be the University Hospital(500 bed, multi-discipline, teaching)is near to Papine, a little further down the road is the Andrew's (private & smaller). Hope that helps

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

irish town is about 15-20 min drive from Papine for reference... i believe this place is further up the road a ways past newcastle tho... which would make it closer to an hour or more drive depending on road conditions at the time of travel (things can get dicey up here)...

i'd say for any serious emergency, you might want to make a first stop in Newcastle... they have a police/military training facility and would perhaps have some medically trained persons on site (maybe not full pledged doctors, but medics with some knowledge beyond basic cpr)... You can always pass through there on your way up, introduce yourselves and explain your situaiton, ask them what sort of help they could offer should an emergency arise... hopefully you won't need to!

(for reference, Starlight is near Section, not Junction :) )

Enjoy

Chelle

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

In addition to the University and St Andrew's Memorial hospitals there's also Medical Associates Hospital on Half Way tree Road. That is a bit further away than the two mentioned by KingstonCat, but all are good. My first choice, due to location and facilities, would be University.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

Ok, thanks everyone so much. University is about an hour away? And do they offer any choppers in a time-sensitive emergency?

kingston
Level Contributor
639 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

The JDF at New Castle could help with choppers. Discuss it with them

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains

University hospital would be at least an hour away... as far as the choppers go... if a JDF copter is used, it is unlikely to be a medically equipped one...

i've seen choppers go into Irish town, there's a helipad around Strawberry Hill somewhere... again, these are personal use choppers, not medical purpose... I know that it's possible to do medical air lifts out of Mobay to Miami... I would hope that Kingston would have these same options as well, but it doesn't have the tourist dollar that would make sure they were as widely available...

while it's probably not my place to say anything, but IMO the location selected is not a good one to find ones' self in, should a medical emergency arise... from condition onset, it could conceivably be a couple hours before the patient is in a hospital that is near western standards and seen by a doctor... if medical air lift to the US is required or desired it could be many more hours before this is available and ready, it is also a very costly ordeal... I guess this is a risk that your family needs to weigh in making the decision... the area is phenomenally beautiful, i do not blame you for selecting it whatsoever!!

hope that helps some, I do hope you all can enjoy your stay without needing any of this info!!!

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Strawberry Hill
Strawberry Hill
375 Reviews
Jamaica
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Reply to: Any Medical Facilities in or near Blue Mountains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted