We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry reservations- FYI

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry reservations- FYI

I was able to talk with someone at the Port Authority about the ferries to Culebra and Vieques today, so I will share the info.

The ferries run every day- even holidays. You can make your reservation as far in advance as you want- there is no time limit.

You reserve by credit card. On the day you are taking the ferry, you go to a special window on the side of all the lines to get your reserved tickets.

To make reservations call 1 -800- 981-2005 M-F from 8-11a or 1-3p.

Be VERY patient- I probably tried calling 20 times before I got a person.

You can call that number to get current ferry schedules via an automated service (no human needed!).

PA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

Is this a bumpy ride? Is it better to fly to Vieques?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

Yes, it can be a bumpy ride. Usually takes about 1 hr and 15 mins.

We takes dramamine for the way to Vieques or Culebra as that way always is more rough. The way home is usually calmer.

If you have the money, fly. If money is tight, the ferry is a good option.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

I forgot to say the price for comparison with flying- the ferry Fajardo to Vieques is $2 pp each way and to Culebra is$ 2.25 pp each way.

Flights from Fajardo airport are $25 pp each way

Flights from the SJ area are higher.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

Use the reservation line.

We showed up last Friday at the terminal to buy tickets for Saturday to Culebra. No dice, sold out. Apparantly (from what we understood), they save a few tickets to sell the day-of, but they recommended getting there two hours prior to departure and said we "maybe" would get tickets.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

Is that the only number for reservations? I've tried calling several times and i just get an error message telling me to check the number and try again. We're trying to make reservations for June 7th.

Thanks!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

Try these # all starting 787

863-0705

I gave up trying to talk to someone to find out about how to reserve space for a car. I called Culebra 787-742-3161 and they laught at me trying to take a car for the following weekend. They said I had to reserve at least 6 weeks in advance

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

thanks! seems like the first and last numbers you listed are in working order. i'll keep trying to get through!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

I need to change the terminology:

For the passenger ferry, you can't "reserve a seat", but you can buy a ticket ahead of time.

I am told the difference is, until you have your ticket in hand with the date/time stamped on it, your seat is not reserved. If they sell out of seats on the ferry you wanted before you go and get your "reserved" ticket, you will not get on that ferry.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

i see...thanks for the clarification. We're planning on taking the 3pm ferry on Saturday. Is it good enough to just to get there a couple hours early or should we aim for the 9am ferry and be ready for the 3pm if we miss it?

Only reason I'm nervous is because I don't want to miss our biobay tour scheduled for sat evening!

One other q- As I understand it, I can buy tickets at the dock well in advance of the trip. In this case would my seat actually be "reserved"?

Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry reservations- FYI

I have only ever done the 9am ferry. If you get there early (about 1-1.5 hr before departure) you should get tickets. There is usually a long line, so it takes a while to work through it.

I think the 3pm ferry is less busy, but they may use a smaller ferry. But again, get there early.

Sat is not a holiday weekend or anything, so it shouldn't be too crazy.

I believe, if you get your tickets on an earlier day, you will be reserved a seat. Make sure they print it for the correct dates and buy a round trip.

Once you have a printed ticket in hand with the day/date on it, you have a seat reserved.

Of course, you could just try for the 9am ferry, and then go to the beaches on Vieques. Call your hotel and see if you can drop your bags off first.

You will love the BioBay- it is fantastic!