We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear at night?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear at night?

Is most of Puerto Rico casual at night? I have read in earlier posts that OSJ is dressier, but what is the attire for restaurants in the evening in most of PR? I am in the process of packing and have way too much in my suitcase! My husband has two pairs of pants packed to wear at night, but are nice shorts ok?

Redmond, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear at night?

The truth is that there are lots of tourists in OSJ and you can wear pretty much whatever you want and be fine, but you will just look like a tourist. People in Puerto Rico tend to dress up more than we do in the states, especially at night and especially the women so if you're going to go clubbing and want to fit in, bring a little fancier outfit. Even just a light and breezy dress will do (it's already getting hot).

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear at night?

Agree with above! Dressy-Casual is usually the nightime attire- with variations- some of the locals do dress up even more than that.

I would say to avoid shorts at night if you are going out to one of the nicer restaurants- nice casual slacks will do. For ladies- a nice summer dress or jeans,nice sandals/ or high heels and a nice top.

During the day, nice shorts will be fine.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear at night?

Hi I second the above.

I have been here for almost 8 months and when ever we have eaten out in a decent restaurant smart-casual is the norm.

During the day, casual shorts are OK, but at night and especially if you are on vacation; you want to look good.

if you need ideas of what to do when you are here, check out the posts here:

have fun

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear at night?

I concur with everyone too!

For instance, I was the Greenhouse in Condado on a Saturday evening and even there, the ladies and gents were impeccably dressed!

Bring a few dressy outfits, you'll by happy you made the room in the luggage!

I brought a few really nice guayaveras and some slacks. While I never got further than shorts during the day, I did find occasion to use them in the evenings.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear at night?

You can get away with the "jeans, high heels and nice shirt" combination.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear at night?

Depending where you are going... nice sundress, cute jeans, high heels or sandals, nice blouse and accesories.

More formal dining casual elegant. The more expensive the restaurant, the better dressed you are expected to be. keep in mind that you'll interact with locals and I'm sure you don't want to look like a pea in a milk glass! LOL

And..., nobody knows you here... you can wear the same dress / outfit more than once!

Keep it light!

Bring your husband a long sleeved casual shirt for more formal restaurants.

Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear at night?

The thing I found most useful and versatile in PR was an inexpensive smocked-top sundress. I wore it sleeveless during the day, with flat sandals, but put on a dressy black sweater over it at night & changed into nicer shoes before we went out to dinner. It was easy to wash it out in the sink and let it dry over the shower rod. I bought it for $20 at J.C. Penney!

8. Re: What to wear at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:17