We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel around Vieques or Culebra?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Travel around Vieques or Culebra?

So, if we take the ferry to either island, what is the best way to get around the islands? Do you rent a car, take a taxi? I wouldn't mind going to either island for the day, but we are really trying to avoid car rental. Are there any tours that leave from San Juan and take you to either island?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel around Vieques or Culebra?

I've rented scooters from Culebra Scooter and found that a fun way to get around the easiest parts of the island.

The taxis service Flamenco Beach, so if that's the only beach you are planning on seeing, you should take one,

If you want to see some of the more remote beaches of Culebra, I recommend Carlos Jeep Rental. The scooters can get to some, but I don't think the publicos/taxis generally go to them.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel around Vieques or Culebra?

Thanks, the scooters sound like a good idea. My husband would like that. I'm just now doing the research for a Jan. trip. We'll have to decide what we plan on doing, so we can get the right transportation.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel around Vieques or Culebra?

Culebra is the smaller of the two islands and the most manageable with a population of about 2,000. Some visitors just walk from place to place, others rent bicycles. Culebra has one of the world's most beautiful beaches; Flamenco Beach. There are others also. There are fewer lodging choices and restaurants.

Vieques is the larger of the two islands with a population of about 9,000 and you will have to rent a jeep to visit the beautiful pristine beaches in the newly created nature preserve. There are no facilities there and the roads (if you want to call them that) are in very bad condition. It is neither recommended or advised that you walk there. There are more lodging choices and restaurants on Vieques than Culebra.

4. Re: Travel around Vieques or Culebra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 23:19