We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations??

Athens, GA
2 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations??

My boyfriend & I are travelling to PR at the end of the month & was just wondering if we needed to visit a travel clinic to get any kind of vaccinations... I didnt think we did, but now that our trip is a few weeks away, Im reading/hearing different info.

We are US citizens from GA & both are up to date on all required vaccinations except the unusual ones you usally get before travelling. CDC.gov lists Typhoid, but is that really needed? I work in a Pharmacy & we usually dont see people travelling to PR getting a Typhoid vaccine....

Any other health-related info would be great as well!

Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations??

No-

Nothing special vaccine-wise. Probably the same chances of catching Typhoid here as in Georgia. We have the same Health department standards. CDC puts all the Caribbean islands in one category, so it is a general Caribbean suggestion, not PR specific.

The only thing you need to think about is bug spray with Deet to prevent any mosquito bites. We are coming to the end of a Dengue "epidemic". Chances are VERY slim that you would have a problem, but use Deet just in case.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations??

PR, as well as the US Virgin Islands of St. John, St. Thomas, and St. Croix do not require vaccinations -- they're US territories. You can eat the food (it's terrific, by the way) and drink the water and go to Walgren's or Walmart...

The Deet's a good idea, however, as there have been some cases of dengue recently. You probably won't even need to think about it unless you are in swampy areas or places with standing water (alleys, around buildings, etc) or places with lots of foliage and insects around dusk...

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations??

We get flu vaccines yearly in PR because we do get the flu season here, so get the yearly flu shot before comming if you can. Vaccine requierments for PR are thye same as for the US.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations??

You have to be carefull with the Mofongo Outbreak, it's very dangerous, specially to your hips. Once you have a bite, you will never be the same.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations??

The Mofongo con Langosta is a most dangerous variety. :)

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations??

I seriously ate mofongo EVERY day for 2 weeks and will probably do it again. Is there a support group for such a problem?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations??

We come down with Pinchoitis every time we come to PR.

The worst is the withdrawal when you are back in the 48.

Cabo Rojo, Puerto...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations??

I belong to a Cheese and Vanilla Flan Survivor's support group. We have a three step program to deal with our dreaded Flan Syndrome. I believe that an airborne strain was discovered just this year.

Step 1: Push the flan away from you.

Step 2: Offer your partner/spouse the flan.

Step 3: Order the flan to go and eat it while nobody is watching.

We're working on a vaccine or a cure. For now, all our attendees report excellent Flan survival statistics.

Now if we could just deal with that other dreaded disease, the Bacalaíto Malady. It's rampant right now...

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations??

I saw in the Coqui of Rincon magazine that there is a cooking class at a Rincon Hotel and the the key phrase is learn to make "exuberant mofongo". I think I am done for.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccinations??

amy323: of course they are all kidding and please don't take it the wrong way. Just jot down those delicious typical dishes and be aware they are truly as delicious as they are fattening! I think you already got the answer to your question, which was a very legitimate one. If you work in a pharmacy, you should know that the side effects of a Typhoid vaccine are greater than contracting Typhoid in PR, although the CDC list suggests you get it before traveling. It's your call. Many people are not aware that there are many reasons why you should have your vaccines to date when you travel. The main reason is that you will be at airports (even the US mainland ones) that have international travelers, meaning, they may be focuses for transmission of diseases that only exist in other countries. Airplane travel also increases the risk of contracting such diseases if they are airborne ones, as we have seen in recent cases in the news. The flu is the most common transmitted disease in airplanes, as in the US & PR and that is why I mentioned it. Puerto Rico is a stopover for many travelers to other caribbean or south american countries that have some diseases not present in the US or PR population. So the Dept of Health vaccine guidelines are not only because of the destination of travel, but for the mere traveling, even within the US.