We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico Humacao

Guymon, Oklahoma
14 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Rico Humacao

We are thinking about visiting Puerto Rico in July. I found what I think is a wonderful little house on VRBO. The house is called Casa Soleada and is in the hills overlooking the Palmas Del Mar. I am hoping someone might have first-hand information about this rental. Also, is this particular area considered "safe?" If there is such a thing :) Thanks, Okie

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

I have honestly never heard of it. But I wouldnt stay in the areas immediately out of Palmas del Mar. Not much happens there but there are a lot of trouble makers that just like do foolish things like steal horses to ride a few days and let them go... its not particularly dangerous but I just dont recommend it.

What name of the area does it give, Buena Vista or Candelero Abajo/Arriba?

Guymon, Oklahoma
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

Ricky B....Thanks for your response. Regarding your question as to the area or town--It appears the house is in the community of Humacao. The web site said it was "1000 feet above sea level in the hills overlooking the Palmas Del Mar." I had to chuckle about your comment about people stealing horses and going for a joy ride. I guess its really not that funny if its your horse being stolen. Being from Oklahoma....horse theives don't scare me, but spending my vacation in the wrong neighborhood does! Thanks Okie

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

Do you have a link? Maybe there is a picture of the spot it is at and I can recognize it.

lol i know but thats just how they usually start then they become real trouble makers... it has been my horse! lol

not dangerous but not vacation type fun.

you know, also, i dont think there is any spot over or at 1,000 feet in Humacao near Palmas del Mar atleast.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

RickyB, I was also curious and had a look at the VRBO site. The specific link to this property is http://www.vrbo.com/54905. I still do not recognize it. My advice to okieinkauai is to stay within Palmas de Mar instead, there are many good choices in the VRBO site. Or he could find more choices he searches with the several property management agencies that operate in Palmas.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

Well I must say it looks pretty good. The view is real, the hilly area that borders Palmas del Mar does have those spectacular views.

The choice is entirely yours, the picture seems to be the Candelero Abajo area, which is not as troublesome as Buena Vista.

Guymon, Oklahoma
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

Gentlemen, Thank you both for your comments. I spent some time surfing through other vacation rental sites and one listing for Casa Soleada lists it with a Los Seranos, Humacao address. Does that ring any bells? The vrbo web site also mentions that it is in "a safe, gated area." I think this little house looks super, especially the private pool and I haven't found anything else comparable. Like I said before....I realize no area is totally safe, but we prefer not to spend our vacation in a high crime zone. I am funny that way! Thanks Okie

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

lol

true.

you know, yesterday i took a drive because i was curious and i saw a spot that had to be the view from the pictures.

the place seems ok, but its a little remote. its so close to "civilization" and so far. it is just as they say, the view up there is not a lie, its very nice and the pool, granted its clean and just as shown in the site, will make for some great times.

the only risk is because i live here and get jumpy about the area its at, but if i didnt have preconceptions about the location and was coming for vacation id probably have the time of my life.

just be smart.

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

I'm in Humacao right now. We rented a house in Punta Santiago. We've only been here a few hours but I'll tell you what our first impressions are. I've never felt so unsafe in my life. I would never, ever recommend Humacao to anyone. All of the houses have bars on the windows and padlocks on the doors. When we were in the car stopped at the intersection a bunch of vagabonds came up to our car and I started to panic as it appeared they were going to try to enter the car. I'm extremely disappointed -we spent a lot of money and time on this rental and it hasn't turned out nearly as nice as it seemed in the pictures. I'm afraid to leave our prison of a house for fear of being robbed or worse. NEVER COME HERE. Actually, we haven't seen anything but sketchy barrios between San Juan and here. I didn't come on vacation to feel afraid! This is horrible!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

Nevadan- I hope you are safe and can enjoy your vacation after your scare.

Not to down play your fears any as I don't know the area or your experience, But just as an FYI for people to know....

Many (almost most) houses in PR (especially on the NE side) have bars on the windows/doors. They protect the windows from branches during tropical storms. It looks scary at first, but realize it doesn't always mean it is a bad neighborhood.

Sure, the bars are a safety measure, and I am sure some areas need them for protection against robbery as well as storms. But not always.

Renting a private place can be iffy- having the owner or care taker close by is helpful- someone to talk to about your concerns.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Rico Humacao

Thats unfortunate.

If it will make you feel any more comfortable, Punta Santiago is a very tranquil area in Humacao.

Nothing really happens there and it is not a tourist destination (had never really heard of anyone staying there before).

The bars on the windows are everywhere in Puerto Rico, here since many can't afford and alarm system they put up bars, which for some people are also decorative.

About the vagabonds, they will only ask for money and if you say no they leave, that's about it. They are actually friendly and it is natural to feel uncomfortable with them at your window.

But there aren't any in Punta Santiago. Everyone that lives there is related and there aren't any stop lights for them to ask for money.

All I can say is, dont judge a book by its cover. Things may look dirty and old in many parts of Puerto Rico, but guess what, they are... that does not mean that they are dangerous areas. Relax.