We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
847 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

I will be in PR Mon, Jan 28 thru Thurs, Jan 31 and one day we want to spend the day in OSJ. I've read several travel books and they say the best time to visit OSJ is when the cruise ships are not there. (I guess for the crowds.) I would appreciate any help anybody can give me for those days if they know how or where to find a schedule.

One of the books said that most Mondays and Tuesdays there are ships there and that Wed, Thurs & Fri were good days to go (We're leaving Friday to come home.) and that the weekends are crowded. I remember on one of our trips we were staying on Isla Verde and went to OSJ for a Saturday night dinner and it took us about 1 1/2 hours to get back to the hotel.

Thanks, Kent

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

In high season (Dec-April), we have cruise ships almost everyday. I have yet to see a schedule for the ships posted anywhere other than outside the Info Casita and that is only for the week schedule. Sorry.

Personally I don't mind being in OSJ when the ships are in- more stores are open, the local vendors set up tables,sometimes there is live music.

Weekends are great in OSJ- craft market and music.

Sun and Mon the museums are closed.

I haven't been in OSJ when cruise ship crowds make it uninviting. But if it makes you feel better, during the week, most ships arrive in port after 1pm.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

If it really is a concern, you could try calling the PR Tourism company toll free at 1-800-866-7827

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

The books you read might be somewhat misleading. Old San Juan does not get that crowded with one or two or even three ships. It gets crowded if several factors coincide, like a holiday or special event in OSJ combined or not with cruise visitors, pre x-mas as everywhere because of the shopping, and when there is a big bunch of cruiseships, which can happen on occasion, but not ordinarily. I've been at OSJ with 4 or 5 cruiseships docked and it is as uncrowded or crowded as some days without any or just 1 or 2. Just come the more convenient day for you, being sure there is no special event planned. You will not be comming on a rushed high season time.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. But I understand what you mean, of course it is probably a factor for a tourist because as a tourist you will go see the same things the cruise tourists will go see and may be worried about the lines.

I would say go on Wednesday or Thursday. Tuesday seems to be the day most ships are there. I guess its because a lot of the ones that leave Miami travel all day Monday and arrive Tuesday.

5. Re: How to find out when cruise ships will NOT be in OSJ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:16