We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Hi Guys,

My partner and I will be in Puerto Rico this May and we will be staying in San Juan. We are renting a car and planning to visit the Southern Coast. We have already been to Ponce and we would like to visit the Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. Also, we would like to visit the beach and do some sightseeing in that general area.

What beach(es) do you recommend in the Southern Coast? What are the other points of interest in that area? What restaurants do you recommend for lunch and dinner that serves authentic Puerto Rican food.

Thanks for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Well, Playa Sucia is right there at the lighthouse, and is about one of the most spectacular on the island. (IMHO) Be prepared though, the road back to the light is TRICKY! We got back there with an economy sized-rental-but there are holes in the dirt road that you have to navigate around. We bailed before a storm came up knowing that being caught down that road in a rainstorm put us at risk from being stuck due to flooded road holes.

We left and went to this crazy place that was a lot of fun-it is right at the north end of Combate beach-a local will know what it is. It is built out over the water, painted red...you take Carretera 3301 to the end, and you will dead-end to the place. Ordered beers and a platter of Puerto Rican finger-food. MMMMM. If you are freaked out by less than stellar bathroom facilities though-you are forewarned! (But if you want off the beaten path in PR, you are going to have to get over that my dear...)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Oh, and stop in to the town of LaParguera. (off 116 west of Guanica.) This is where the bio-bay tourboats go out. There is a plaza there with lots of food kiosks. You can get a Mahi-Mahi pincho for a few bucks.

The biobay boat ride is nice-even if the bay isn't great-it is a nice nightime ride for five bucks.

Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Thanks for the ideas.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Just a little further up the coast to Joyuda -- and you'll have plenty of places for wonderful seafood, etc. Mmm, I'd love some mofongo con langosta right now!

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

I recommend El Gatito in Joyuda. Just had the best piece of fish I have eaten in all my visits to Puerto Rico. It was a fillet of snapper done "guidsado" style, but what made it so good was that it was perfectly fresh and perfectly cooked, not overcooked as (sadly)too often the fish in Puerto Rico turns out to be.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

Sorry for the typo... meant to write "guisado."

7. Re: Where to go and eat in the South Coast near Cabo Rojo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 04:18