We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning Excursions

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
442 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Morning Excursions

We will be at Wyndam Rio Mar the beginning of May for 3 nights. My husband will attend meetings leaving me to fend for myself Monday-Wednesday until about 1 PM. Hanging out near a pool or even on a beach for 3 mornings is not really my thing. Any suggestions for short day trips? I do like to hike but as the big 6-0 is in my near future, don't like going alone. We will rent a car and I'm a relatively fearless driver. (We've planned an afternoon in OSJ and El Yunque together.)

We are planning on spending the last 4 days on Culebra though haven't booked lodging yet. Can anyone tell me if there is much hiking other than walking the roads or the beaches. And, umm, the whole "Culebra means snake" thing is just a joke, right?

Mentioned in this post
Ciales, PR
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning Excursions

Here is a short day trip.

Las Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve in Fajardo, which is fairly close to Rio Mar. They offer guided tours. You will need to make reservations at: Puerto Rico Conservation Trust-

Reservations and information:

Tel. 787.722.5882 (Monday thru Friday)

Tel. 787.860.2560 / 787.860.2562 (Weekends and Holidays)

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Humacao Nature Reserve
Humacao Nature Reserve
213 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning Excursions

Well, the problem is you are alone and have limited time.

-Close by, there are the Belz Outlets- if you want to shop. Or Coqui International is a neat store on the way to the rainforest.

-KayakingPuertorico does a short kayak/snorkel trip in the mornings.

-I think you will be fine going to El Yunque alone (to do a different trail). There are lots of trails to pick and usually a number of people around- you are never alone! But, maybe you can find another spouse, just to be safe.

-Also, if you find another active spouse, then you can go to Pinones and bike or walk the paths (I wouldn't do it alone).

-Las Cabezas is lovely, but it is closed M and Tues and the only English tour is 2pm, so it is not an option for you this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Pinones
Pinones
166 Reviews
Puerto Rico
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning Excursions

What about- ATV or horseback riding at Hacienda Carabali.

There is zip lining in Guaynabo.

Wednesday at 10:30a,you can take a 1 hr informational walk through the rainforest with a Ranger. It is very interesting and then you can tell your husband everything you learned when you learned!

Mentioned in this post
Guaynabo
Guaynabo
Puerto Rico
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
442 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning Excursions

Thanks for the ideas! Oh, yeah, shopping! I like the tour with the ranger, kayaking and a quick hike. I was a bit worried about hiking alone but have usually found the big parks to be pretty safe. (Of course, then you read something in People....) I've done some zipping which is fun but a big time investment for a few minutes of thrill. Is OSJ too far to drive for a morning? I've always been fascinated by Segways and this might be a way to do it nice and anonymously.

5. Re: Morning Excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 18:17