We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

We haven't even left for this year's vacation to PR yet and we're already thinking about where we'll go next year :)

I have read so much about PR on this site that I feel like I've already been and loved every minute of it. Thanks to all who have answered my questions!

I'm curious to know if anyone has been to The Dominican Republic. My husband is very interested, but we haven't gotten much info from the DR forums. Any comparisons to PR? (FYI-we are not resort people. we prefer the more adventurous vacation, culture, authentic/local food, etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

I have been to a resort at the Dominican...not to PR. yet, but I think you'll find that with PR being the US, the Dominican is a third world country....you can't drink the water...alot of people get sick...and there aren't any Wal-marts to get your groceries! We stayed on the property and it was beautiful...I would go back..but not to experience the things you can in Puerto Rico....just for a beach vacation. I'm sure there are adventures you can take in the Dominican, but my drive from the airport to the resort was adventure enough!!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
382 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

I have friends who have been to DR. All say it's definately 'resort only.' Last friend returned 2 months ago, they were sick the entire trip and for a few weeks after returning home. She felt that all-inclusive was ridiculous as they couldn't eat anything at the buffet. She lived on bread and Cheerios. The weather and beach were the only good things about their trip.

It may depend on the resort, but there are so many destinations that have adventure. From your "FYI" it sounds like you might want to look for something other than DR. After your trip to PR, you may want to go back next year to do things you didn't have time for on this coming trip.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

Check out Roatan Honduras. We went last summer, and LOVED IT. (Still think I like PR better though.)

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

I like DR..the Zona Colonial is really beautiful. It's sorta like Old San Juan but minus much of the American stores. That said..if you want to go to DR; you need to speak spanish, particularly if you aren't planning on being at a big resort.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,166 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

The Dominican Republic has its charm. If you wan't to experience another country 100%, this is your chance.

I've been there many times and dont restrain myself to the resort because we know a lot of people that live there so we are always out on the road.

Dominicans are very friendly, especially to Puerto Ricans because there is this certain bond between neighbors and between latin americans in general.

Honestly, you have to choose where you want to go, the best and most popular beaches are at Punta Cana, Puerto Plata La Romana... but these spots aren't really much else besides beaches and that is why you get such huge and complex all inclusive resorts... so that you stay in there and dont need to leave.

In Puerto Rico everything is withing at most 2 hours or so and you dont need a hotel except for sleeping if that is the way you want it.

Here you can just hit the road and be sure to find something.

My opinion may be a bit biased as I am Puerto Rican, but I would much rather prefer Puerto Rico over the Dominican Republic.

Also, the last time I went there was only for four nights and I got sick on my third night and was sick two weeks after... The positive side? I lost about 5 - 10 pounds and decided to keep the momentum and stay losing weight (of course, in a healthy way... not by staying sick...lol) and have lost about 20lbs since.

Sooo... is it fun, yes? But so is Puerto Rico.

Would I prefer it over PR? If my budget is tight.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

Many puertorricans choose to vacation in DR because it is many times cheaper and they get to go outside of PR. Most go to resorts, since DR has many great resorts, and many of them are all-inclusive. If you're not the resort type, you must do your homework if you want to visit DR. Traveling outside the resort areas in DR is much more complicated than PR, in all aspects, beggining with the language. Plus, you are on a foreign country, foreign currency, laws, etc. Also, DR is a very poor country outside the lavish resort areas- very third world, very unlike Puerto Rico in the rural areas. DR is also much bigger than PR and distances are greater. All that requires a better knowledge of the areas you will visit and much more accurate planning, especially lodging and food. It is a beautiful country, with a lot of unexplored territory, for the adventurous.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

nneico;

My husband and I have been to the DR a few times and we love it. If you are adventurous, tho, it might not be the place for you.

Punta Cana is a beautiful beach that goes on for miles, but it's very isolated from the rest of the country,and everything is all inclusive, so other than taking some organized excursion off the resort, you're kind of limited.We did that a couple of times and fell in love with these people.

Last year I wanted more, so we booked two nights in Santo Domingo(we don't speak Spanish and got along fine) and five nights in Bayahibe.(there's no beach in Santo Domingo).We booked a reputable taxi back and forth and I was SO GLAD we hadn't decided to rent a car.Driving through San Pedro de Macoris at rush hour was jaw dropping.That is the one thing you don't want to do in this country.

We have yet to visit Puerta Plata where there are towns you can visit, but I loved the beach in Bayahibe so much, I don't know if we ever will.

Donald trump is building a huge development in Cap Cana and when it's finished, I'm sure the popularity and prices for this beautiful island will increase.

Right now, it's paradise on a budget.

I don't understand the worry about sickness. The water shouldn't be drunk because of all the minerals, but all the big resorts have purified water and stock your room with tons of bottled water. These chains are owned by international corps, that follow the same guidelines as their sister resorts in Mexico ,Spain or anywhere else. Two of five responses talk about being sick, but you won't find that if you start reading reviews "over there".

I'm going to PR in a month with two friends, and I am very excited. We're looking forward to shopping, eating in local restaurants and clubs on the weekend.It fits the kind of trip we want, but I will say, the next trip with hubby will be back to the DR.

BTW, it is now considered a developing nation, not a third world country.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
8. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 13:19