We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Arriving in El Conq at the end of the month with my wife and two kids (6 & 8). After a fairly long day of travel we are wondering where we should eat, either in, or close by, the hotel. Transport to El Conq is included in our package so only renting car next morning. We've read about the very high prices at most of the resorts resto's and want to try to avoid spending a lot of money on this first meal. We don't need anything to fancy or formal. Don't mind taking a short cab as long as it is not $20 each way.

I checked El Conq web site and they list a few casual spots: Ballyhoo bar & grill; Cafe Bella Vista; Cafe Caribe and Virgin Burger. I also noted from TA post awhile back someone mentioning heading to Marina level (where we are staying) and walking to the left, past the condos, to a cluster of restos (Ocean View and Tommy Place?). Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Personally after a long day, I would not want to go anywhere. Room Service Pizza or head down to the pool bar and order one there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Hey Treepalm,

That was me who posted about walking from the marina level to the cluster of restaurants. It is a bit of a walk, maybe a half mile or so each way, so if your kids are tired and cranky after a long day of travel, I wouldn’t advise it that first night. In your case, I’d advise just eating at Ballyhoo or one of the other casual restaurants. The next night you’ll have your car and the freedom to explore places outside the resort.

Jamie

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

I had a fantastic Monfogo con langosta at Blue Bahia Sea Food Restaurant, just down the hill to the NW from the El Con. There a nice patio and also indoor seating. Not too formal.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Thanks for the informative suggestions - very much appreciated. Looks like we will keep it simple and stay on site and order in or eat at one of the more casual cafes or grills.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

HI Treepalm

Let me suggest a place I tried last May very close to El Con. If I remember well, its name is "Calizo" and its located less than a mile to the right coming out of the El Con main entrance, right in front of the Seven Seas RV camp. Most tables are on an outside patio of a converted house turned restaurant. The service was very good. The owner though young was very hospitable and personally brings a tray full of samples of the menu consisting of many succulent seafood for you to decide. A nice touch they provide is putting in an ice bucket any beer or bottle you may order to keep it really cold considering the normal heat at this time of the summer nights. Prices are reasonable and their menu is very impresssive and had everything for all familiy taste. If its not your first night meal at arrival, you may consider it for another time. You wont regret it.

The other places mentioned here are also good. But in my humble opinion, the service I received at the above place made a difference.

I will be traveling back to MY ISLAND...cant wait...this July 16th and spend a few weeks tasting the many succulent "pastelillos de Chapin, Juey, Langosta y ruedas de pescao" that are just a few steps from the Marina Lanais where you and your family will be staying. Too bad I'll miss meeting you while enjoying the cool night air around Las Croabas waterfront,another spot for the locals to escape the day's heat and enjoy people watching and the Bio Bay tour groups herding their customers for the trip of a lifetime inside that glowing bay.

Have a great trip specially with all the help of all these PR experts who run this great site.

Make sure you report us your impressions,good and bad so all can learn and enjoy and/or improve to make a PR trip something to come back to.

Calrican

Los Angeles

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Thanks again Calrican for taking the time and sharing your thoughts. You seem so passionate about your country!I've added Calzio to our list of potential spots to check out for dinner the first night or perhaps any night after.

It would have been nice to try to hook up. Rest assurred that I will definitley be sharing all of our experiences on this board when we retuen.

Best

Laurence

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Other places to try are Pasion por el Fogon, Rosa's Sea food, La Estacion or the Metropol.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

Thanks SunMoonStars - I was actually going to soon do another post asking for restuarant suggestions that we can drive to the other nights!

9. Re: El Conquestador; Where to eat first night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 01:20