We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand thieves

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
294 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sand thieves

Interesting, but disheartening, article on MSNBC.com:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27400598/

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand thieves

Thanks for posting that. I was not aware that it was such a big problem.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand thieves

I had read this a few days ago... it is odd because I thought you couldn't use beach sand in construction because the salt in it would reduce the quality of the concrete.......

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand thieves

My husband says the salt in the sand will rust the rebar that is used in the concrete for support.....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand thieves

They are using it for plastering and finishing-the part when the forms are removed and a smooth outer finish is added. The sand is fine and ideal for this part. Never touches any rebar.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand thieves

Dumb question, but for instance on Vieques -- is the sand being taken and then used on another part of the Island?

If so, isn't it easy to trace who is doing it?

Or are there ships offshore loading it and sailing away with it at night?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand thieves

PortaDelSol... off course they know. But I suppose they receive a huge kickback for allowing it. Also, changing slightly the subject but in the same line as PDS... my Brother stayed recently in Vieques with his family and the 1st day they get out to explore they got robbed everything from the rental house, and I say EVERYTHING, including the diapers of his grandchildren; Ipods, LapTops, Books, Clothing, Food.... and I'm pretty sure they know who did it. It's a shame, the police has to know who does such a thing.

7. Re: Sand thieves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 02:21