We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is PR my best option?

dcbryan
1 post
Save Topic
Is PR my best option?

I'm planning a 2 week trip for the beginning of April 2009 and I need a little advice on where I should go.

About me:

I'm 21 years old. I'll be Traveling with my cousin. About a $1200 budget for 2 weeks(or as long as I can affrod). I only speak english.

What I'm looking for:

Beaches (surfing would be a plus). Cheap local food. Cheap lodging (hostel maybe?). To relax and see this beautiful world

I'm not looking for:

Luxury, shopping, a touristy experience, fancy restaurants or a party scene/nighlife.

When I saw that I could fly round-trip from Seattle to the Caribbean for under $700 I began researching some islands. As of right now Peurto Rico seems like my best option, but I'd love to hear some input.

Here are some low round trip flight prices that make these places good looking options:

$439 SEA - San Jaun Peurto Rico

$513 SEA - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

$486 SEA - Kingston, Jamacica

$642 SEA - Saint-Croix, USVI

$567 SEA - St. Martin

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is PR my best option?

The main "problem" with cheap travel in PR is the public transportation system stinks. You really need a car to see the island. But you can get a car for like $30/day at a local place.

You can find some inexpensive lodging- try Barefoot Travelers Rooms in Naguabo/Humacao. Nice place, real close to beach. Might be great for you!

Or for more rustic, Phillips Cabins in the rainforest.

These are ones I know on the east coast, I am sure there are other places elsewhere around the island. There is an apartment El Conuco in the mountains of Caguas/Cidra that is inexpensive and nice.... There is a hostel in OSJ, do a search on this forum to see if you can find info.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
625 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is PR my best option?

I have planned a trip for my husband and I to go to Puerto Rico but looked a lot at other Islands first. What I found was that housing was more expensive at the other islands and going to a country where we needed our passports, and different money seemed like a hassle I didn't want to deal with. Jamaica didn't seem very safe unless you stay at an all-inclusive place and we don't like them.

I found so many things to do in Puerto Rico that I want to plan another trip including our kids who are more your age (23, 21 and 15) and intend to stay at smaller places then we'll be doing on our upcoming trip without them.

Have you looked into Paradores? There are generally inexpensive places http://www.gotoparadores.com/ that vary in quality and set up. Here's an old post asking about that from this forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147319-i71-k83943…

The less you spend on airfare, the more you can spend on things to do!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is PR my best option?

Except for Santo Domingo, I've been to all of those islands a few times. Here's what I've seen:

Kingston, Jamaica: Pretty much the only very nice area in the entire island. It's almost 2 hours from the airport and the ride takes you through very undeveloped areas of Jamaica (no paved roads, people living in shacks, etc). Personally, I was shocked and very saddened to see people living in such circumstances.

Saint-Croix, USVI: Unless you're into golf or on a honeymoon, you're better off scratching this one off your list. Beautiful resorts and golf courses but other than that, there is absolutely nothing to do. I was by myself when I visited and was bored to tears. No kidding.

St. Martin: Nice island with nice beaches and great shopping. Not sure about night life though.

Have you considered Rincon, PR? Rincon is a town on the west side of the island. Low-key town known for its waves.

http://www.rinconpr.com/

kingston
Level Contributor
614 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is PR my best option?

dcbryan,

Just to give you some update on Kingston Jamaica. When you leave the Norman Manley airport, you travel on the Palisadoes road (paved) to The Norman Manley Highway (dual carriage way) on to the Sir Florizel Glasspole Highway (dual carriage way) on to the Michael Manley Boulevard (dual carriage way) into the city. All roads in the city are paved with many dual carriage ways. Some roads are narrower than others especially in the older parts of Kingston. Kingston is thickly populated, we do have shacks in squatter communities that have no proper roads. We also have small, medium,large & very large houses, mansions, appartment complexes etc.Kingston is a large city filled with history & culture.Hope you get the oportunity to enjoy some time.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is PR my best option?

The Dominican Republic is nice, however, if you're looking for more of a beach vacation try Sosua or Cabarete. Cabarete is known for kite surfing. They have competitions there that bring international tourist. If you're still interested in visiting Santo Domingo you can get a really inexpensive bus ride (about 4 hrs long).

I know that you say that you're not interested in a "tourist" type trip, but if you are intersted in seeing the surrounding areas there is Mel Tours (I'm sure you can do a google search to find it.) I did a really fun one, with swimming and climing waterfalls, then sliding down or jumping into crystal clear pools of water.

No visa required for DR.

6. Re: Is PR my best option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 03:19