We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Cubuy in El Yunque - wrong location??

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
261 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Cubuy in El Yunque - wrong location??

Hey All.

We are heading to PR for Spring Break. We will be spending two nights in or near El Yunque, and two corresponding full days. One of those days will be dedicated to mid-length, easy-to-moderate hikes, ideally to waterfalls to swim in and see the flora. The other day we are taking a sailing tour out of Fajardo that leaves at 10 am.

Right now we are booked at Casa Cubuy, since Villa Sevilla did not have availability. I booked before I realized route 191 was closed from this side of the forest to the north side. The north side seems to have all the trails. Does this mean we're going to need to drive an hour each way to our hikes that day?

I am less concerned about this location for the Fajardo tour. We were told to get to the dock by 9:30 am, so if we need to leave at 8:30 that's no problem. But I am very concerned about the hiking day. The reviews on here of Casa Cubuy are sometimes negative - but rarely about location, and several people who rated the place 5 out of 5 even regardless of the road closure.

So the question - how big a deal is this?

Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Cubuy in El Yunque - wrong location??

Contact Casa Cabuy and ask if there are trails you can hike. I believe they have one that goes from their place down to the river.

When I did the south side, I had a guide. There were no marked trails, no one around. I recently spoke to a ranger and he said they are still working on the bathrooms/picnic area and have not started on marked trails yet. It is pretty remote, but beautiful.

Yes, it will take you about 45min-1hr to get to the North side of El Yunque for the marked trails.

2. Re: Casa Cubuy in El Yunque - wrong location??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 11:22